Saturday, October 1, 2011

9-30-11 Blog Lady and iMonk

Aloha Good People


Well today was a big day for P04 the last of the pups/weaners on Oahu. Ka Iwi received her official tags and is known on the books as RK96/97.  She also was fitted with a cell tag that will send signals to let the folks in NOAA/NMFS know what she is up to.  (Although currently she really hasn't gone very far).


Overall it was a great day.... we had a wonderful turn out of Camp Irma volunteers. David Schofield, Dera Look, Dr. Charles, Dr. Greg Levine, and Mark Sullivan made up the team of professionals from NOAA.  Lesley, Team Billand and I assisted with the team to help herd the girl out of the water, keep track of time, hand off equipment as needed.  I was selected to help with the herding, however once I was in the water, I didn't feel comfortable, a little too slippery for me and the wrong footwear, so I handed off my board to Dera.
Remember it's safety first!  .... best to caution on the safe side especially with my track record of leg injuries.
The entire procedure lasted 32 minutes.... Ka Iwi had blood and tissue samples taken, tagged with her orange flipper tags and fitted with a cell/sat tag on her back. 


After we were finished, I went for some lunch with Lesley and returned to the site for my shift.... Ka Iwi hauled out of the water about 2:00. Tammy reported prior to her hauling out she was just cruising around the large tide pool.  Once she was out of the water she pretty much stayed in the same spots with a couple of rolls and scratches... She seemed fine, her behavior pretty much par for the course.


A quick thank you for all the volunteers that showed up.... you were all great and this is what its all about.... watching the little one go from a little black velvet wrinkly worm, to a chubby grey and white weaner get tagged with some bling and become the latest iMonk.

 Whats' ringing?
 Am I ringing?
 Will someone answer me please.
 okay... so I'm not ringing... you sure this new iMonk works?

No comments: