Sunday, October 2, 2011

10-2-11 DB Dailies and Day 52 for Ka Iwi

At 0545 we arrived at AD, and began the hunt for Kaiwi (RK96). We found her 100 yds east of the SPZ once again today, lolling in the shallows amongst the rocks. By 0650 she began slowly moving westward, and by 0705 she had arrived at a point , 50 ft east of the SPZ, where she remained until 1500, not really moving up, but rather remaining at the water line. At 1500 she reentered the water, and once again swam to the east. Lynne and daughter Marrisa put out signs and rope as a temporary sight. When we broke down for the night, she was in a small pool surrounded by rocks and totally invisible. We picked up the stuff so as not to draw attention to her. Her location was 150 yds east of the existing SPZ. This was a landmark day because at no time did she ever enter the established SPZ.

 On my 0705 Blowhole check I found an U/U investigating the area including the cove on the SB side of Blowhole. Due to harsh morning glare it was impossible to get an ID. I think I saw newish coat, and saw no tags, but that was it. I'd put my dollar on M&M, but ??????

 At 0737 I found Buster (RV08) at the left end of the beach on Rabbit Island. He would be the only RI resident today. He entered the water at 1020, but on my 1319 recheck, he was once again at the left end of the beach.

 On my 0745 check of Kaupo Beach Park, I found Irma (R010) lolling in the large pool at the Waimanalo end of the park. Her N3 bleach was visible on several occasions, but I never managed to get a shot of it. She would move out side the pool at 0857, and I lost her in the morning glare of the sun. I did 3 addition KBP checks, as well as 2 full rechecks of the SE Quadrant, but did not see her again.

 At 0831 Team Billand checked in with the report of Kermit (R4DG) fronting #1705 at Nimitz Cottages. They advised that he departed at 1715.

 At 1316 Dana called to advise that Right Spot (R016) was at her usual spot at Turtle Bay. She was in the water when the volunteer arrived so there is no percentage available on molt, but would presume that she is done, since she has changed locations, from her molting sight. Dana also reported that La'akea (RK82) was in the Keiki Pool for the 5th day.

 In the "Yesterday's News" department, the usual outstanding Vera Cober shots arrived this morning, documenting her La'akea shift at Turtle Bay, yesterday

 Ka Iwi early morning swim 
 Or maybe she's just napping in the water
 Where did I put that sea cucumber, I was saving it for later!
 "Clifford is back"  If you look at most of the dawn patrol sunrise shots you will see a figure fishing off the reef. Amazing he is out there "most" of the time.  Thanks Lesley for the great sunrise shots.
 Buster all by his lonesome on Rabbit Island
  La' akea - Her version of cow tipping
 Little Snack
 I suppose if you weren't looking you wouldn't know she was there.
 Kermit @ Nimitz
 He doesn't seem to interested in seeking out any females.... 
 maybe all the wahine on the other islands wore the old man out

No comments: