Thursday, October 20, 2011

10-20-11 DB Dailies and More

Kaiwi (RK96) was in her 150 ft east of the AD wall tide pool, when we arrived at 0600. She would venture outside to the surf line, at 0658 and at 0705 Alice and I lost her outside. Thankfully, Alice called as I was trudging east, to advise that Kaiwi back in a tide pool , 100 ft east of the wall. She would remain there all day, snoozin' on the water front rocks. Just as I was packing up for the night, at 1820, Kaiwi awoke and moved into a small nearby tide pool and then galumphed to a slightly large one, where she remained when I departed. She still has 20-25 ft to go to get to water on the flats, but the night shift may be beginning.

In the Yesterday's New department, the one armed wonder, June Kawamoto sent me photos that she took yesterday at AD. I assumed she was home cruisin' on pain medication, but nope..... she was on da' job !.

At 0617 I found Irma (R010) at the east end of Sandy Beach. Initially, I assumed it was KC, since she was in exactly the same place, but as I was putting up the cordon that big, beautiful N3 bleach was readily apparent. Unfortunately, she rolled so I couldn't get a shot of it, and on my return at 0920 she was gone. A witness said that she had departed at 0910 of her own volition. Despite lots of miles on the Irma Quest, I did not see her again today.

At 1037 I found Buster (RV08) doing 6 minute dives at Blowhole Lookout. On my 2nd look at Rabbit Island, at 1155, I found Nani (RK60), and Duke (RA12) together on the Waimanalo side of LBP (WS of LPB). They remained the rest of the day.

Team Billand called at 1012 with the report of Rocky (RH58) at Iroquois Point. The Billands report, and photos confirm , that Rocky is lookin' round & firm & fully packed. Could T21M have done his job ???????? At 1332 they found RIP (RR70), once again at Maili Point.

Donna called at 1255 to advise that the kayak company near her work, reported an animal on one of the Mokes. Awaiting photo confirmation, but I gotta' put one cat on KC since she was just at Sandy Beach yesterday, and is a known Mokes veteran.  And yes pictures came through DB your cat is safe, it is in fact KC. (pictures courtesy of Kailua Sailboard Kayak, thank you Anissa)

Allow me a brief note on the departure of an excellent volunteer, and a grrrrreat posse member, Alice Schubert. Today was her last day on the Kaiwi site. I will miss her beyond words. She came into my life as my eyes at Sandy Beach, and would have been worth her weight in manapua had she done nothing else, but she brought that work ethic to AD, and Kaiwi. She had  and hubby , Glen are off to Florida using that lame , ol' excuse of "being closer to family".  Alice you will be missed by many.... I only wish I got to know you sooner, I have enjoyed the brief time we hung out and soooo happy I was able to feed you and Glen some good pizza.  From one east coast chick to another!

 Irma R010 @ Sandy Beach 
 Ka Iwi RK96 @ Alan Davis
 "the thursday aunties"  june, tammy and sabrina
 thank you auntie june - but you should be resting!!!
 RIP @ Maili 
 Rocky @ Iroquois
 thank you team billand
 KC RK28 @ Mokulua Island 
 Funny how it looks like she has the whole beach to herself.
 Thank you Team KSK for keeping all the kayakers away from this old girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is KC's pup? Do you think she had it out at Mokulua Island? I guess we can only wonder or wait untill the youngin shows up? Please keep us informed.

Donna said...

To the best of our knowledge KC did not have her pup on Oahu, or at least anywhere that is populated. Believe me if she had a pup on the Mokes' you would have heard about it.... Oh please that would be a nightmare....

It's not unusual for mom seals to go to one of the outer islands to pup.
Thanks for asking and if we get any updates I'll be sure to post!