Wednesday, October 19, 2011

10-18-11 DB Dailies

We arrived at AD at 0600, and by 0615 had located Kaiwi (RK96) swimming toward the west, at about 200 yds east of the AD wall. She stopped westward movement at her tide pool, 150 ft east of the wall, and according to Alice, remained there until 0736 when she began swimming back toward the east, arriving at the 300 yd mark at 0900, and going just a bit beyond. According to shift reports she snoozed away until entering the water at 1730. She was exploring tide pools in the area at dark.

On my 0732 check I found Nani (RK60), at Rocky Right Beach, on Rabbit Island. She had the place all to herself.

I arrived at Blowhole Lookout at 0755, and at 0701 became aware of Buster (RV08), doing erratically timed dives there. It would take me until 0715 to realize that there where in fact 2 animals there, and the other would prove to be Duke (RA12). The did several "ups" together. By 0733 Buster appeared to be moving out and to the east, with Duke half heartedly following. I would lose Buster, but found that Duke remained as was doing dives off shore of the rocks between BH and Sandy Beach.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 1348 for my afternoon check I found Buster just hauling out to the left end of the beach.

My Monachus gene was whispering to me , telling me to go check Blowhole again, and I did. Sure enough there was Duke, at 1417, still there and doing 10 minute dives.

Team Billand has had a string of slow days of late, but they made up for that today. At 0928 they found Irma (R010) fronting #1708, White Plains. She departed on her own at 1558. At 1045 they found Ewa Girl (RS00) at Wind Sock. She too left of her own volition at 1645. At 1221 the reported Kermit (R4DG at Maili Point. At 1324 they found RIP (RR70) at Tracks (Kahe Power Plant).

Live....Local...Late Breaking ! At 1615 I got a call from posse member June, advising that while at the Kaiwi site this afternoon, she got a flip flop stuck in the rocks, while shell hunting, and went down hard. She called to advise that she just got out of the Castle ER, with a new cast on her broken left wrist !!!! Ouch !!! Please June, tell me you can make 1 handed Chicken Salad sandwiches. I'll starve withoutcha' June !  So Sorry to hear about your wrist June.  Let us know if you need anything....  and look at her she's smiling!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....... A highlight of any day for me is finding VeraMail awaiting me. Today Vera Cober trekked to Ka'ena Point, and found a molting Ka'ena (R040), an 85% molted Noa (R6FI), and 761 at the end of the world. Vera....you are worth your weight in manapua !!!

Duke and Buster @ Blow Hole
 Nani @ Rabbit Island 
 Buster @ Blow Hole
 Ka Iwi looking as cute as ever! 
 Not a care in the world.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

June!!!!!!!!!!!! You better watch out, good thing it was just your wrist and not your head!! I am so sorry to hear of your accident out there at AD's. Hope you can heal fast so you can continue taking those awesome Kaiwi shots for us guys who cant be out there. God bless, take care June Kawamata, my dear whale/seal buddie of 16 years, love ya!!!