Tuesday, June 28, 2011

6-28-11 DB Dailies

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0642 I saw just a sliver of the new belly of Sadie (RB12), up in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS. She would be gone when I got back to Makai Pier at 0942.

At 0643 as I panned the beach, I found M&M (R020) and Pup, on D#35, doing the first of 6 observed feeds on the rock flats at Left Middle Cliff, 30 ft right of 2BS. They would do three water sessions, and would haul out to the LMC each time, except the last when they hauled out 40 ft right of 3BS. The pup is huge, and the coat is definitely changing. The pup was also much more demanding, and vocal today. On two occasions I saw M&M show momentary unhappiness with its demands. She is obviously beginning to want this over...... soon.

On my 0710 Spitting Cave check I got just a 2 second glimpse of the backs of 2 animals as they swam toward the point, obviously in travel mode. I thought by the size that it might be Duke and Kolohe but ???

I continued on with the rest of my route and at 0842 received a call from COSTCO posse member , Momi who was calling from the roadside pull off just east of Lanai Lookout (between LL and the Tropic Bird nest rock). She excitedly told me that she was watching two seals playing in the water directly below her . Of course I responded immediately, and found, who else... Duke (RA12) and Kolohe RW22)playing and diving. The movement was ever so slowly headed east, but they were in no obvious hurry. Momi was stoked because after all these years she'd finally seen seals doing something !

I got back to Makai Pier at 0942 and noted that Sadie was gone. M&M and pup were still at the left middle cliff area. Not much else happened until 1155 when Kolohe hauled out at Seal Rock Inlet. I'd last seen him at LL at approximately 0900. He would not be at Rabbit Island long.

At 1206 on a pan I became aware of the pup on the rock flats , alone, then I noticed Mom's head, and the head of another animal amidst the whitewater fronting the pup's location. The was a battle in progress, but it lasted only seconds. At 1216, RIP (RR70) hauled out, 60 ft right of 3BS, and immediately began galumphing toward Kolohe. Kolohe beat flipper to the water and I did not see him again. RIP would settle down and remain the rest of the day.

I've noticed that RIP's behavior has been a bit more aggressive these past few days. It finally dawned on my that he is probably setting himself up to be first in line next week, when M&M becomes "available".

Team Billand called at 0711 to advise that Makaiwi (R4DF) near the fence line at White Plains. They called again at 1038 with the report of Max (R5EW) at Campbell Industrial Park.

Speaking of the Billands, they are , at this moment , up to their ears in Bloomin' Onion, and more, at their 42 year anniversary, pig out . Congrats guys !!!!!  Just an added note about Barbara and Robert... the first time I met them was at the State House while we were giving testimony for the Hawaiian Monk Seal to be named the State Mammal. From the moment I met them I was so taken by their relationship.... it was very clear then and is now how much they love, respect and are dedicated to each other. How wonderful to be blessed with a true love in your life.... AND add to that their commitment and love for the seals... They are my heros....  okay back to our regularly scheduled blog update..... (da blog lady)

  MM and pup day 35
 Kolohe after his play session with Duke
 RIP
Lanai Lookout Duke and Kolohe morning play session 

3 comments:

Keith Kenyon said...

Congrats, Barbara and Robert!

Barbara said...

Thank you Mr. Kenyon!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

All great photos ....
Ciao from Italy
=^.^=