Wednesday, June 22, 2011

6-22-11 DB Dailies

"It's Ewa Girl and her Pup !!!!"..... those were the words that Barbara Billand spoke to me at 1515. Okay... did that grab your attention ?

There can be only one lead story in today's version of da' blog. We'll get to all the other stuff after. Dera called at 1348 to advise that she'd gotten a Hotline call about a "Mom & Pup off the Reef Runway. We both thought, yeah.... right... it's a big one and a little one. Nope...... wrong.......AGAIN! Dera had already called the Billands when we talked so when Barbara called , speaking those words, I was absolutely floored. All of this was happening toward the Diamond Head end of the Reef Runway at the Honolulu Airport. The property is all controlled by the Airport, so there would be little to no human traffic, though apparently fishermen might get there via boat. David Schofield assessed the area and said NOAA would put up signage, but since it is a controlled area, there is probably nothing more to be done. I'll let NOAA comment on that.

There is really no way of knowing, however Ewa Girl's (RS00) projected date was 6-10-11, which means that the pup could be 12 days old or so, but that is purely a guesstimation. ONLY Ewa Girl knows !! I'm awaiting photos at this writing. If I get, you get, but the Billands are stuck in goin' home traffic, and I've got to make an Airport run later, so I if get the shots in time you'll have them. If not... check da' blog in the morning.

This ol' dog learned something about the new tricks out there, just moments after Barbara and I talked. I thought I'd be breaking the Ewa Girl & Pup news, on the blog, but Nope.... Lesley called just moments after all this began to advise that she'd just read on FaceBook that there was a Mom & Pup on the Reef Runway. FaceBook is scary !!!!

Okay, now back to my mundane day. I found M&M (R020) and Pup, on D#29, doing a swim session of the Middle Cliff area of Rabbit Island. They would later haul out and would spend the day in the 3BS area. I saw 3 swims and 3 feeds. I noticed yesterday that the pup's coat was beginning to change, and sure enough, today it was most certainly entering the "red" phase, which occurs in week #4. The black coat is taking on that red tinge. The black duckling is definitely beginning the change to the gray and white swan in the very near future. Though the belly has lighten up, I still can't get a sex yet.

On my 0708 , Spitting Cave check I found Buster (RV08) doing 9 minute dives.

Dera called at 1426 to advise that she had gotten a Seattle "Hotline" call about RV08 at the Blowhole end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived I found Buster (RV08) in the small cove on the Sandy Beach side of the Blowhole Lookout. Marilyn checked on her way home at 1700, and he was gone. He is no doubt making the run from Spitting Cave, and headed home to Rabbit Island.

Team Billand called at 0833, to report that one of their posse had called about a small animal fronting the first cottage and White Plains. Volunteer , Vera responded and confirmed the Max (R5EW) ID, at 0917.

Dera called at 0952 to advise that she'd gotten a call from stable personnel at the Turtle Bay Hotel, reporting an animal. Posse member Karen Turner responded and confirmed the Right Spot (R016) ID.

Team Billand called at 1229 to report that their posse member Clay, had called with the report of Rocky (RH58) at Iroquois Point. Awaiting photos.

Buster 
Buster @ spitting cave 
Pictures of Rocky from Clay and Sharon... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it is a girl they should name her Diamond for being born at the Diamond head end of reef run way.

If it is a boy they should name him Reef for being born near reef run way.

Any sex yet?