Sunday, June 19, 2011

6-19-11 DB Dailies

At 0650 I found M&M (R020) and Pup, on D#26, high on the beach at 3BS on Rabbit Island. They would later moved down to the water line and did a water session in the shallows at that location . I also observed 2 feeds.

At 0730 I found what would prove to be Buster (RV08), Duke (RA12) and Kolohe (RW22) on the water front rocks at Seal Rock Inlet. They would all enter the water for a swim/play session at 0734. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0915 I found Duke and Kolohe on the water front rocks at Rocky Right Beach, and later found Buster fronting 1BS , at the left end of the beach. At 1316, Duke and Kolohe would enter the water (rising tide) and at 1400 I found them in the shallows with Buster fronting 1BS. I observed their play session for about 30 minutes before losing them in the white water.

Team Billand called at 0735 to advise that one of their posse had reported Max (R5EW) at Hau Bush (Ewa Beach), amidst a fishing tournament. When they arrived little Max was gone. They next got a call about Max at 1701. He was once again reported at Hau Bush, and once again when they arrived , he was gone.

The Billand found Makaiwi (R4DF) at Palm Grove, Campbell Industrial Park at 1032.

Hanauma Bay posse member, Ethel called at 0954 to advise that she was looking at "a small animal with a white belly" on the left side rock flats at HB. While I was in route she called again at 1004 to advise that the animal was gone. I arrived at 1010, and spent 30 minutes looking at the bay from the overview, but found nothing. Posse member Jack, went above and beyond and gave me a ride on da' Gator down to Toilet Bowl, just in case. Other than a terminal case of "gatoriods" nothing came of the trip.

At 1055 I got a call from Water Safety (Lifeguards) reporting an animal in the trough at Magic Island. I advised Dana, and she called to say that volunteer Kimo had responded an confirmed that "N11" (Rocky (RH58) was at her usual spot.

Email from Kelly Evans brought news and photos of Ua Malie (RT10) out there somewhere in the back of beyond in the Kahuku area where she has been seen of late. Thank you Kelly. I love those purple shoes.

Keith Kenyon did the Ka'ena Point trek and checked in at 0752 to advise that he'd found T21M waiting for him on arrival. He would later call to say that Ka'ena (RO40) had arrived at T21M's location. He also had an U/U that made two brief appearances to the front beach and then the back beach, however no ID was possible. Thank you Keith, as usual , Ya' Done Good !!

As far as I know there was no sighting of either hooked animals.

When called Dera at 0803 to advise her of Keith's finds, she advised that she had recieved word from the Science Center side of the house, that despite lots of miles and lots of hours by volunteers, NOAA had decided that since the 761 hook was non-life threatening, there would be no NOAA response at this time and that they "will continue to monitor the situation". I have no clue what that means in "noaaspeak". You'll have to check with them on that. I have been spewing all day. I will leave my response at that.

Buster brown @ Rabbit Island   
 A seal tail - Ua'Malie 
 Hau Bush
 there's that wonderful tag
 miss Maka'iwi 

1 comment:

kelly girl said...

Yes DB, Ua Malie is turning Greek on us and has resorted to hiding in caves to avoid people and photo shoots. She has found a new spot and is very content near the northernmost point on the North Shore.