Saturday, June 11, 2011

6-11-11 Kelly Girl Hits the JackPot!

It was pretty windy with stormy waters and rain approaching. It was a bit of a trek to reach High Rock pushing the seal mobile thru some deep sand. And low and behold when I reached the top of the hill....Bingo on first look guess who I found, Ua Malie! I have searched for her numerous times at that location with no luck. Just stories from fisherman and locals of when she was there or that I had just missed her.
As far away as I was from her, she still knew I was there! Lifting her head sniffng into the air. I could just sense her thinking, oh no human approaching! I was at least 150 ft away if not more and hiding low in the rocky brush but she knew I was there.
Ua Malie gave her famous tail flip shot for the camera. I did not want to get any closer to zero in on the tag but I did see with the binoculars the T11 tag. She looks so green, but very happy and peaceful with nobody there bother her. In one of the pictures I took, I was wondering if her nose looked normal?
It was the first time I was out there when there was nobody there. Last time so many campers and fisherman. There was only two very, very, drunk local guys in a white truck Bobo and Sage who had seen Ua Maile before. Talking to them was a trip in itself....I talked story with them for while had a few good laughs and left them a seal card with number to call if they see her again.
On a lower tide Ua Malie has been known to be in the pool below her in the picture. It's a bit of a climb up to where she is from the water. Usually the flat reef is exposed between High Rock and the pool where she is in the picture. She has been known to be in the flats playing around, according to Gani a fisherman I had spoke with before.
Ua Malie looked so peaceful. As she rolled over I was thinking "Now that's the Ua Malie that I know" in all her cuteness, just adorable! Will her transmitter patch mark ever go away?
I decided to leave Ua Malie and go in search of the hooked seal just incase it too might be hiding in the crevasses towards Kahuku Point. Other pictures attached are views looking back towards the Refuge at the other beaches Ua Malie had been spotted at. There is plenty marine debris on those beaches. I will make and effort to collect a few bags each time I go out there.
Well, no hooked seal to be found and one more look at Ua Malie before I head out. It was hard to leave her but there came the rain. She was so worth getting soaked for! It was totally raining and Ua Malie was still snoozing and I'm was soaked! I heading out at 1445.
The seal mobile does it again! And of course the purple hiking boots!
Thank you Kelly Girl.... as DB already said YOU DONE GOOD!  I included some of your adventure for others to appreciate what your determination and dedication is all about. I would like to ask if at some point you send me a picture of the seal mobile and purple hiking boots.... they deserve to be posted!  For all of us who have worried and wondered about Ua'Malie thank you!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Sweet baby. So good to see her looking so plump and purty. :c)