Saturday, June 11, 2011

6-11-11 DB Dailies

On my 0627 , Rabbit Island check from the Makapuu Overview I found nobody on the beach, but at 0634 I found M&M (R020) and Pup doing a morning swim session just off shore of 3BS. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1000 they were still in the water, but at 1017 they hauled out, 60 ft right of 3BS. The did the first of two observed feeds and snoozed away the rest of the day.

Also on that 0627 look, I found two youngsters in the water off shore of 1BS. I knew from the play activity and relative sizes that it must be Kolohe (RW22) and Duke (RA12), however I can only state Kolohe as a fact since I found him on my return to Makai Pier at 1000, 20 ft left of 3BS. He remained there all day. I did not see the possible Duke critter again today.

My Spitting Cave check was a bust, but at 0813 when I went to the Kokee Flats I found an U/U, "logging" just off shore of Irma's Grotto. Three fishermen pointed the animal out to me when I asked if they'd seen any seals. They said that they'd seen 2 at the same time approximately a half an hour earlier. I never saw more than a single animal. Though I observed several ups, it was always from the left side and only a bit of the dome of the back, and nostrils. There was no way to make an ID. I'd have to put 50 cents on Irma and 50 cents on Buster on this one . I returned to SC for a recheck, and also did a 1500 recheck, of SC but never found anybody. Maybe tomorrow ???

Team Billand called at 0813 to advise of Makaiwi (R4DF) and Max (R5EW) at Palm Grove, Campbell Industrial Park.

Dana checked in at 1220 with the report of Diane Gabriel finding Right Spot (R016) on the NS. A conversation with Diane later confirmed that she had found Right Spot at Crawford's but down near the Waialee Beach Park end. Thank You Diane!

Dana called again at 1340 with the news that KellyGirl had reported finding Ua Malie (RT10) at "High Rock" which is somewhere beyond the back of beyond somewhere in the vicinity of Marconi Rd. I know a few of you have searched for her, but I'm totally stoked that Kelly found her. She has certainly put in the mileage in the effort, and those awesome purple shoes have done it again. Ya' Done Good Kelly... I'm totally Stoked for you !!!

I am aware that there were alot of man hours put in by alot of people out there today on the hooked seal quest. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any sightings, despite the effort. Maybe tomorrow ????

Lifeguard friend , Kalai called at 1800 just to let me know that he had been working in Waikiki today, and heard radio chatter about a Monk Seal cruising the near shore waters on both sides of the Kapahulu Groin (The Wall), which is classic Irma or Rocky territory. Apparently nobody ever hauled out, and I'm unware of any calls on the episode today, but it serves as a tiny reminder that "the call" could come at any time.

M+M and pup
 Right Spot 
 Maka'iwi 
Maka'iwi and Max 
 little green man
 moldy max

No comments: