Thursday, May 27, 2010

5/27/2010 DB Dailies

At 0628 I found Ewa Girl and pup on D#2 ,at the left end of the beach on Rabbit Island. I also found Sadie up in the Morning Glory, 50 ft left of 1BS.

Ewa Girl & pup would remain at the left end all day. I observed 5 feeds, and lots of snoozin' . Both moved up with the rising tide in the afternoon.

Sadie would move down and depart at 0923, only to haul out again 100 ft right of 3BS at 0937. When I got back to Makai Pier after a Sandy Beach run, at 1255, Sadie was no longer there. I did not see her again today.

At 0900, Buster hauled out to the left end of the beach. From my point of view he appeared quite close to Mom& pup, however the foreshortening effect of the telephotos lens makes the distance between them appear closer. He remain there until 1000 , departing of his own volition. Ewa Girl never responded to his presence at all (just like yesterday), so I must assume that he was further away than it appeared.

On a pan at 1028 I became aware of just the sliver of a belly, above the water front rocks at Seal Rock Inlet at the right end of the beach. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1255, Duke had moved up into full view. He remained there the rest of the day.


At 1146, Sandy Beach life guard posse member , Dexter, called to report an animal swimming in the near shore waters, moving east, and obviously wanting to haul out, however the hordes were following it down the beach, and despite numerous bullhorm cautions to stay back, the mob continued to follow. Just as I arrive at Sandy Beach at 1155, Dexter called again to say that the animal had departed. I hung out for a while, and then checked the coast line from Blow Hole to AD's, finding nothing. Obviously, I can't make a call on who it was, but my Monachus gene is whispering Benny ! After my search I returned to Makai Pier.

At 1353 posse member Alice , called to report that an animal was just attempting to haul out at the east end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1408 I found Benny (always trust your Monachus gene). I cordoned him off and did some PR. He was still there on my 1700 check. I'll be returning shortly.

Team Billand called at 0721 to report Kermit at Wind Sock, Kalaeloa Beach, and Rocky further to the east near Kalaeloa Campgrounds. On their 1230 check Kermit was gone. As of this writing Rocky remains.

I picked up the rope at Sandy Beach and called it a day at 1950. Benny was still snoozin'
Duke
Ewa Girl and Pup

No comments: