Sunday, May 16, 2010

5/16/2010 DB Dailies

Though I put in a full day on Rabbit Island duty, it would be 1247 before I would finally see Duke haul out to SRI. He was the one and only RI resident today.

Fortunately, there is lots of other news in the Monk Seal world this day. Some good and some bad.

Team Billand called at 0648 with the report of Kermit at Wind Sock, KAL, with a probable Irma foraging just off shore. She thought about hauling out to join Kermit , but he was apparently on her side of the reef, so she continued on foraging, and would finally haul out to Kermit's Reef, on the west side of the Nimitz jetty at 0943 .

Dera called with the news that T15M had been reported at Waimea Bay today, but would enter the water with no photo confirmation. She also said that a probable KC was seen in the Crozier Dr. area of Waialua (or Mokuleia....I've never been able to figure that out).Help me out here NS folks, which is it ? Joanna Tabor came through with photo confirmation of the KC ID.

Team Kenyon trekked to the end of the world, and sent photos of Kerby, Ka'ena, and a very small , little, untagged U/U. It's a cute little thing. Tracy and I both agree that it is a weaner to maybe 1 yr old, at most.

Unfortunately I must end on a sad note. Tracy called at 1607 to advise that RI37, gave birth this morning on Kauai, but the the pup was found dead, shortly thereafter. The pup will be flown back to Oahu for necropsy. That is absolutely all that is known at this point, but RI37 seems to be well. I can't help but wonder if that severe wound she recieved recently had a bearing on this situation, or if it was just being a young , first time mom ???
Kermit
Irma

KC

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I am so disheartened by the passing of yet another one of our babies. What is happening? What is causing all these deaths? I was so looking forward to I37's pup. Too bad, too bad. How can we help these seals???? It seems there are so many tragedies, one after another. Just when you're trying so hard to get over the shock of one, another comes along. Oh how I wish we could change things, I wish we could help our children to live a longer life. Is there a place in the future for MONK SEALS??? I pray with my soul, that ONE DAY, we can understand what the causes of all these pups deaths are. I'm so sorry I37...may your pup now be free to be a seal. KP2, I am sooooo glad you are at Santa Cruz, you have a chance to grow old.