Tuesday, May 4, 2010

5/4/2010 DB Dailies

Despite the fact there hasn't been an animal at Hanauma Bay since 8-1-09 (Ewa Girl), I dutifully check every single day. Today was just another day in the routine, until 0619 as I panned down the beach from left to right from up on top. To my shock and awe, as I got the the area of the beach fronting the turn around at the bottom of the driveway to to beach, I found a phat chick on the beach. When I got down to the bottom at 0622 I could immediately see that it was Lona (R017). Here F2 bleach, as well as her right side CC and left side natural bleach , were immediately apparent. This was her first ever haul out to Hanauma Bay. In the first millisecond my reaction was " Oh Crrrrrrrap !!!!!!!... in the second millisecond I realized... It's Tuesday.......Hanauma Bay is close today.... WHEW !!!! I coned her off and put up a "Colleen Sign", and advised HB personnel.

The peace and quiet would not last however. At 0918 HB posse member Jeanine called to advise that Lona had departed. Tree trimmers were working in the area and she decided to vacate the place, even before they got close. Despite multiple Lona Quest runs through the SE Quadrant, I did not find her again.

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0739, I found Sadie cruisin' in the Morning Glory, 30 ft left of 1BS. At 0747, what would prove to be Mojo, hauled out the far left end of the beach. Eventually, they would connect. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0900 I found them together just hauling out after a swim/play session at the right end of the beach. They were in the process of playing on the beach. They would soon settle down and both remained there the rest of the day. It was good to see my 2nd born again. He has been hangin' with those Molokai chicks for quite a while now.

As part of my Lona Quest, I did a 2nd Spitting Cave check at 1500. There had been no one there on the morning check, but this time around I found Kolohe doing 7 minute dives.

A morning telephone conversation with Dera, brought news of an animal fronting the Nimitz Beach cottages at 0807. I never heard another word until 1449 when first Dera and then Dana Jones called to advise that the animal was Irma, and after a foraging episode she had hauled out again at Wind Sock, just down the beach from the cottages.

In an effort to clean up some of yesterday's news, I spoke with Sub posse member , Doug at the Sub Barn at Makai Pier when I arrived this morning. He said that he saw Duke at the right end of the beach yesterday,on an afternoon kayak paddle to RI, but he got back to the pier after I'd departed. There is a rubble cove at the right end of the beach that I call, Rocky Right Beach, which is impossible for me to see from any of my vantage points. Duke was probably there all day, and I just couldn't see him.
Sadie and Mojo
Kolohe
Lona

No comments: