Monday, February 22, 2010

2/22/2010 DB Dailies

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0649 I found what would prove to be M38 fronting the Naupaka to the right of 1BS.
At 0652 a posse member called to report that he was looking at an animal in the water off shore of the no man's land between Sandy Beach and Irma's. When I got there at 0654 I found that it was Irma. She was foraging an slowly moving toward Irma's. I remained with her until 0900. She had moved down to a shallow tide pool directly in line with the Kealahou traffic light. She seemed happy to remain in the tide pool. I elected not to put up any signs etc, since it would only draw attention to her. I took a chance and went off to do my Spitting Cave check, returning to Irma at 0930. Irma was exactly where I'd left her, and with the tide going down it became pretty clear that she would remain in the shallows with lots of comfortable rocks to snooze on. I rechecked her multiple times through the day, and she remained at that location all day. There was little to no foot traffic so nobody was even aware that she was there. I'll be returning shortly for another check.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 1010 I found that Kolohe and Sadie were now fronting 1BS, and that RIP had hauled out 20 ft left of M38. All would remain there all day. Duke hauled out to 3BS at 1219.
Team Billand reported Benny and Rocky at separate locations in the cottage area of Nimitz Beach at 0933. At 1106 they reported Kermit at Kermit's Reef on the west side of the Nimitz jetty. Shortly thereafter, Rocky moved to relocate near Kermit.

At 1625 TB called to report that R018 had just hauled out near Benny at NIM.
Irma was there on my 1700 check, but had departed with the rising tide on the 1845 check.


teenie tiny yellow arrow
Irma
Duke
Kolohe & Sadie
RIP & M38

No comments: