Thursday, July 5, 2018

7/5/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was a beautiful and quiet day around here.
I went down after lunch to check the PlayPen. RK88 "Puna" (M) D68 was hauled out on the beach sleeping.
RK40 "Napua" (F) D62 was playing in her favorite Keiki Cove. On my way back both were in the same places - but "Napua" probably wasn't staying in there for long cause the waves were tossing her all around like a washing machine.

At the NAR I found RO40 "Ka'ena" in his pool.
Then I hanged around the point for a while because a visitor decided to go refresh herself in the Main Pool. It took 15 Mnts and I saw in the afternoon glare a round rock in the waves, I had time to call the lady out of the water before the seal got to her. Went and do some outreach, she told me it was the 3rd time a seal showed up since she was there. When she arrived a seal was in the pool and left, she went to refresh then a seal came in the pool she got out. The third time was when I flagged her.
Could someone explain WHY would she first go into the water where a seal /wild animal had been and then a second time after a seal had come in while she was there. I bit my tongue hard on that one and left smiling to ID the seal.
Turns out it was RO40 "Ka'ena" doing a swim by. Her first & second seal couldn't be him cause he was in his pool dry when I saw him. So there was 1 or 2 U/U by the Main Pool before my arrival.
Back Beach had several trails and wallows up high near the Naupaka line- some seals overnighted.  Aloha ðŸŒº

 This is Ka'ena thinking... get that woman out of my pool 

No comments: