Monday, July 2, 2018

07/02/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

Went down early and found RO40 "Ka'ena" in front of our beach path. He has been hauling out there for the last 3 to 4 days. Today I noticed some new scars on his back. They look like nail or teeth scratches superficial, there's no open wounds.

At the Play Pen RK88 "Puna" (M) D65 playing in the water mid boulders, it took me  while but I found RK40 "Napua" (F) D59 in one of the Keiki Coves rolling in the waves.

On my late afternoon check "Puna" was hauled up high on the beach playing with things (sticks and seeds). "Napua" was hauled out mid reefs on waterline.

Ka'ena was no longer in front of the house.

Jaime let me know in the morning that 2 seals were hauled out at 10 Mnts Beach and later were joined by a third one. No ID's were possible.
I went out there at sunset but alas only found wallows. Posses Denis & Sandra said they saw a big seal swim by them at 5 Mnts just before I arrived.

I include a collage of a cool observation this morning. A fisherman walked up to the fence, stopped read the sign and turned back. Not before waving at me. Later I saw him and thanked him for doing so. He's a frequent diver in the area but had been away for a while. He was glad to see the pup.  Coexistence !! ðŸŒº

No comments: