Tuesday, July 17, 2018

07/17/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Update

We had a fun overnight island hopping where we got to spend family time with the kids, I hiked with Sealette Val and saw some of our HMSeal girls and their pups.
RK28 "KC" & PK3, RO28 "Pohaku" & PK4 

This morning I was early out monitoring.
RK88 "Puna" (M) D80 was hauled out on the beach sleeping. RK40 "Napua" (F) D74 was in one of the Keiki Coves sleeping using a rock for a pillow. A couple of hours later on my way back from the point they were both in the same places but now being wet by waves of a coming in tide.
I met with our hiking friend Ken at the gate. He was just coming back from the point. He told
me RN58 "Luana" & a possible R330 "Squinty" had just hauled out at Hidden Beach. As soon as I got there I confirmed both ID's. You've done well Ken !
Both seals were still there on my way back.

At the point, I thought I was going to be skunked, but RO40 "Ka'ena" showed up and hauled out on the Runway.

Most of the Albatross chicks have already left. I didn't check the top hill, on the bottom part it seems we have less than a handful still fledging.

While I was out there Ken texted me that he was with a tag I37 seal upon the Northshore - That's RI37 "Ipo/Bessie", R5AY "Honey Girl" oldest daughter. I called the hotline and gave them the location. Ken will send me pics later.


\
RI37  IPO

No comments: