Tuesday, July 31, 2018

7/31/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was a hot day out there.

My first find was  R330 "Squinty" right down our beach front.
After checking several locations for the weaners I headed out towards the NARS doing my usual monitoring and outreach.
I found RN58 "Luana" at Dragon Rock, well advanced in her molt she jumped from a conservative 10% yesterday to a 40% this morning.
On my way back several hours later I found her hauled out at 10Mnts Beach her molt going past the mornings 40% probably into 50%. This is D4 of her flash molt.
At the point RO40 "Ka'ena" did a swim by on the outside pool of Main Pool then made his way to haul out in his pool.

Back outside, I spent some time doing outreach at the gate then I went looking for the weaners, even though RK88 "Puna" was on the west side yesterday. RK40 "Napua" (F) D88 was hauled out at the PlayPen.

I stretched my neck and saw a seal down the beach. R330 "Squinty" was in the same spot as earlier this am.

I went down to Camp Erdman and walked down the beach towards Mokuleia side and saw 2 seals near the waterline. They were RG40 "Holokai" and RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" . Tide was coming up and bigger sets were rolling in. "Holokai" galumphed up the beach to dryer area and KKolohe followed him.

We'll check on them at sunset.
More tomorrow after I wave my Kimo, crew & "Hikianalia" a safe sail across the pond on her way to San Francisco ðŸŒº Looks like Thursday departure from tonight's news.



No comments: