Monday, July 23, 2018

7/23/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: Lesley's Ka'ena Update

My phone finally crashed last night so this morning I had to go get a new one.
I wasn't able to go out early to go check on the big net reported yesterday on social media. Added to that it was a nightmare to get past our piece of Farrington Hwy.

Back home I made it down to the PlayPen but non of the 2 weaners were around.
I headed to the Point. Just before 10Mnts Beach I found RN58 "Luana" resting with her head on a big log. She must be very close to start her molting. She had some funny spots on her lower back that didn't look like water marks but could be ?
At Hidden Beach R330 "Squinty" & RL42 "Leia" were near the waterline. I believe they were the 2 seals report by Jaime yesterday. They were in the same place Marilyn & I saw them on Saturday.  "Leia" must also be very close to start her molt.

I searched for the ghost spaghetti net from Ponds to the NARS fence and there was no trace of it. Two posse fisherman (throw nets) were out there and I asked them to call me if they came upon it. I will check again in the morning.

On my way back all seals were in the same locations and I got to see RK40 "Napua" (F) D80 finishing her swim and hauling out at the
Playpen.
Little RK88 "Puna" (M) D86 was MIA today.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº



No comments: