Wednesday, July 25, 2018

7/25/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

So the dreaded first day happened today:  both weaners were MIA all day. I checked the beaches several times during the day and didn't see a flipper .

Today was my third day out on finding that the big spaghetti ghost net mission
Heading out to the point I found RG40 "Holokai" and RN58 "Luana" just before 10Mnts Beach. She has been there for a couple of days. That molt must be getting to start soon. "Holokai" spent all day with her.

Hidden Beach had 4 big fresh seal trails, but alas we'll never know who was there: my guess for 2 of them would be "Leia" & "Squinty"

At Ponds I started walking he reefs towards the NARS, I found a net and was able to retrieve it (~ 50 lbs). Further on I found the BIG one. I got in the water and started working on it but my tools weren't the ideal ones. I put a mini dent on it, freed bigger ropes to tie it to the reefs. I left a marker and tomorrow with reinforcement Team T&D we'll get it out.

In the NARS I spotted RW02 "PVKauai" in Squinty's Cove.
At the point RO40 "Ka'ena" did a swim by then I followed him till he hauled out into his pools.

Hours later on my way back all seals were in the same locations.

In the late afternoon we heard sirens coming and going. Kimo & I went down to check and found 5 emergency vehicles at the gate. Surf Kiters had launched at Mokuleia Beach Park and seemed to be in distress towards Ka'ena. Just as we were getting the briefing Ocean Safety radioed that the 2 kiters were safe on the beach. 2 rescuers and I went out to check on them, they had been dropped off at 10Mnts Beach. While HFD spoke to them I checked on "Holokai" & "Luana". We drove their equipment out and they walked.

Kimo & I went down for our sunset walk (still no weaners) and saw a beautiful sunset. 
More tomorrow ๐ŸŒบ

No comments: