Friday, July 20, 2018

7/20/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

On my second check of PlayPen this morning RK88 "Puna" (M) D83 was freshly hauled out on the beach. Valerie a new intern for HMAR was down on the beach trying to ID him. Shortly after RK40 "Napua" (F) D77 hauled out on the left side of the beach.
Valerie came up to say hello and introduced herself. She asked me if I knew who the seals were. I showed her the tag photo for "Napua" & "Puna's" scar. She was waiting for the SM. I told her I was heading to the point and wouldn't call in seals since they were there and probably going out.
Hours later on my way back from the point Natalie was still there waiting and the seals were in the same location. Natalie said goodbye & left.
Our hiking friend Ken was out early and reported RN58 "Luana" @ Dragon Rock - I found her there sleeping peacefully. She may be getting close to start molting. When I came back from the point she was still there.

Ken also saw R330 "Squinty" at the point and later hauled out at Hidden Beach. He was no longer there nor did I see him today.

At the point RO40 "Ka'ena" was hauled out on the Runway
I had a swim by seal in the Main Pool but had to get people out of the water so I only took 2 photos. A while later RR70 "RIP" hauled out on the outer reefs - by my pics it looks like the swimmer by was RIP

As I was there I was checking "Ka'ena" from far. My eye caught a white rock...turns out it was a very dry young seal. It seems that I had a new kid in town. No tags, juvenile belly (didn't show me it's sex), very long vibrissae - so it has been nicknamed "Whiskers".
Photo documentation was sent to NOAA and Yoda friends.   More tomorrow ðŸŒº


 UU in Main Pool


No comments: