Sunday, July 29, 2018

7/29/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena's Weekend Update

It was a long hot day.
Marilyn, Diane & I did our Saturday KPt monitoring & lots of outreach.
In the HMSeal world this is what we had:
Our first seal was RK40 "Napua" (F) D85 swimming and foraging in some pools along the coastline. I did 2 more checks on her during the afternoon she was hauled out in a little sand cove. People walking by were very respectful. She left at sunset.

RN58 "Luana" was near 10Mnts Beach were she has been for several days now. While I was talking to campers Marilyn and Diane walked around and saw trails all the way up to the road. There were probably 2 seals overnighting in the area.
Today is D1 of RN58 "Luana's" molt.

At Hidden Beach we found R330 "Squinty" hauled out near the waterline. Fisherman/ campers said he hauled out at dawn.

We made it to the NARS, While we were looking at a pretty blue reflection of a hole in the reefs into a pool, Marilyn spotted a white bellie.
Our little RK88 "Puna" (M) D91 made it to KPt !! On our way out he was no longer there.


RO40 "Ka'ena" was hauled out on the Runway, we were documenting him when a seal did a swim by him. There was a little exchange of words and the seal swam away. My pic shows that the seal was R330 "Squinty" IDed by his cataract and scars on head.


At the point 2 seals had a water splashing session in the outer pool, I was busy getting aprox 15 people (most of them a group of French visitor) out of the water so I wasn't able to help ID the seals. Photos taken by Marilyn & Diane were inconclusive so they'll go as U/Us.

On our way back we found RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" side by side with RN58 "Luana". She did say a couple of words to him but he stayed around. His ID was made later in the day when Marilyn was downloading her pics. She lets us know & I also confirmed his ID by my photos.
I noticed many vehicles going in when we were going out. So I took a break and headed back in. RK40 "Napua" was still hauled out in her little cove.
At the point a big seal did a swim thru the Main Pool just before sunset. It was RO40 "Ka'ena" looking for buddies. He didn't stay long and headed out just as some fishermen were walking out to the point.

FROM TODAY::
I had to go out early to the gate to drop off the Polaris for Jaime & the Sunday team. 
I did the coastal walk back to the house. I saw RK40 "Napua" (F) D86 foraging along the reefs. IDed her by her tags in the air for her dives.
My big surprise was coming up on RK88 "Puna" (M) D92 freshly hauled out at the PlayPen. He made it back from KPt !!!
Both seals were called in to the hotline.
BTW - today is my day off ! but I'll go down to check on the kids again. More tomorrow 🌺


No comments: