Sunday, July 22, 2018

7/22/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Went down early to check on the weaners.
RK40 "Napua" (F) D79 was sleeping in one of the Keiki Coves. I looked for RK88 "Puna" (M) D85 but he was MIA.
I went down to meet Jaime and some volunteers at the containers. Tim , one of our volunteers, told us there was a small seal in a cove of the parking lot. As soon as we finished our meeting I went down to check. There was the missing kid playing on the outside pools of the narrow cove. I went back to get signs and when I came back he was starting to swim back towards the PlayPen. He stopped at the small beach cove and my heart as well. He spotted a little orange float and started playing with it. The float was stuck to the reef, meaning there's probably a hook at the end off the line. "Puna" played and played with it. After being tumbled by some waves he made his way out and I followed him. Fishermen along the reefs watched me with the signs in my hand looking at the water, one by one they reeled in their fishing lines. I was so proud to see them do that. Lots of outreach paying back !

I went back down twice during the day and both weaners were sleeping on the beach.

Attach with the photos a link to a video of RK88 "Puna" playing with the float. Tomorrow morning at low tide I'll go check if it's still there I'll go retrieve it ðŸŒº

No comments: