Saturday, April 28, 2012

4-27-2012 DB Dailies: M38,Kolohe&Buster@RI, Noa@Maili Pt, R018@Trks, Makaiwi@CIP, RI37@Mokuleia


Lots of hours and miles were put in by the Elves and I on the Irma/Kaiwi Quest, but alas, Nada , though there were a couple of possibles. More in a second.

At 0816 I found two separate, partially visible animals on Rabbit Island. One was hiding in the Morning Glory, left of 1BS. The other was hiding behind the rocks , right of Seal Rock Inlet. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1110, both animals had relocated to behind the rocks at Rocky Right Beach, and once again were only partially visible. At 1356 I managed to get an ID on Kolohe (RW22) as he rolled around.
At 1713 I returned to Makai Pier, and both had been driven up by the rising tide. At 1716 I confirmed the RM38 ID.

Also at 1713 I found Buster (RV08) just hauling out fronting 3BS.

At 0831 Jack at the Bay called to advise that some of the Hanauma Bay regulars had reported " a small seal" swimming in the Cable Channel at the right side of the bay. They could provide no other information. Jack advised that he too could see the animal, and that he had noted 6 minute dives, but could provide on other ID info. I spent 45 minutes on top, looking at the bay, but never saw anything. Kaiwi ????????

That sighting caused me to recheck Spitting Cave, at 0951. At 1000 , for just 5 seconds, I saw a swimming head of a small (?) animal in the gnarly, glary white water at the point. I was not able to make any kind of a call on the ID. I did not see the animal again. Kaiwi ?????????

Team Billand called at 0859 to report Noa (R6FI) at Maili Point.
At 0946 they found R018 at Tracks.
Makaiwi (R4DF) was their next find, between the Feedlot and the canal in the Outback of Campbell Industrial Park.

Kelly Evans called at 1629 to advise her daughter's boyfriend, Jon Mossman had called her about an animal in Mokuleia, across from the Dillingham Airfield, where they were camping. Kelly Girl made the run an at 1732 confirmed the RI37 ID. She got a passerby to take ID photos , so they will be coming at some point.

A brief progamming note...... I can't swear to it, but there is a chance that the Jeff Corwin program involving Kolohe's dehooking, maybe airing tomorrow at 1430, on KITV.

Buster and da birds
  Noa 6FI/6FJ
 Maka'iwi 4DE/4DF 
 looking long an lean
 hmmm more like a stuffed sausage
 R018 @ Tracks
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can not let another day go by, without thinking of that poor seal that was slaughtered on Kauai. I never met that precious soul, but, I do feel the pain that THE KAUAI VOLUNTEERS are experiencing. And I want to extend my sorrow for this senceless killing. Hugs to you all out there, who care enough about our monk seals who are so vulnerable to mans hand.

It hurts so much to know number five seal was taken from earth and sea. It scares me every day, to know, someone is out there killing the poor helpless, innocent seals. WHY????

For me sitting with a seal on a haul out is a real treasure from nature and we should all take care of what is left. But to know a killer is running wild, feeling nothing in beating a seal, just so not human. If he can kill like he is doing to seals, what can he do to HUMANS?????

All you volunteers out there on shores, take care, hang in there. We can not let this happen again. Please..let us all keep together, continue our protection of the Hawaiian Monk Seals. They so deserve a life on their shores, to rest when they want to in peace.

God bless you all on Kauai and Molokai...my heart goes out to all of you. My prayers to you and your seals and our seals here on Oahu too. Be strong..Dont give up the fight...HUGS....B