Tuesday, February 28, 2012

2-28-2012 DB's Dailies: Irma@BH, Kaiwi@SC, Rocky@KK, Benny@Makaha, R018&Noa@Maili Point, Kermit@WP, RO28@Sec. Bch


Man, these last coupla' days have just gotten curiouser and curiouser. You'll see what I mean has my tale unfolds. To begin with I did a whole lota' looking and no findin' on my morning route. Finally, at 1017 posse member Gayle called to say "there is an animal at Eternity Beach, and it's not Kaiwi". Naturally, I hot footed it over there, alas the animal was no longer there. Gayle explained what she had seen. Apparently, the adult sized animal had swum into the inlet and came to the spot where Kaiwi had been yesterday, took a look around, found nobody, and left.

As Gayle was telling me that story I looked to the left and saw an animal foraging off the point at Blowhole. After several rounds of dives I finally determined that , just as yesterday, it was Irma (R010), doing 8 minute dives. Of course my science buddies are stuck in the "just da' facts" rut, and can't allow the two things to connect. Thankfully the Whisperer code must simply follow the DUH ????? requirment. Of course, it was Irma.... It would appear as though she was looking to see if Kaiwi was there, which then says that she must have been aware of Kaiwi's presence yesterday. DUH ????
Speaking of the lovely miss Kaiwi, just about the time I was confirming the Irma ID, posse member Kathy called (1031) to advise that she had Kaiwi (RK96) at Spitting Cave. Gayle and I naturally raced right over. When we arrived at 1111 the Kaiwi ID was confirmed. She was doing 6 minute dives.

I departed SC at a bit after 1200, and was working my way back to RI, when posse member Linda Nichols called at 1220, with the report of an animal lolling in the tide pool at Irma's Grotto ! Crap...... Irma is at Blowhole.... did I screw up....AGAIN ? When we got there at 1237 to my surprise there was Rocky (RH58) snoozin' in the tide pool at Irma's Grotto. She appeared to be blowing bubbles when breathing, but I don't believe that for a moment. I think she saw the dumbfounded look on my face, and they were bubbles of chortling laughter.

Team Billand checked in at 1000 with the report of Benny (RE74) at Makaha Beach.

At 1056 they found R018 at Maili Point.

Kermit (R012) was their next find, at 1133, fronting #1944, White Plains.

At 1422 the Billands found Noa (R6FI), 60 ft away from R018 at Maili Point. Team Billand was busy today.... at least a couple of the seals cooperated by hanging out together.

Team Billand next reported M&M (R020) and R2AW together at Tracks.

At 1655 the Billands reported Pohaku (R028) at Secret Beach, KoOlina.

Posse member Teri called at 1727 to advise of no Kaiwi, but another large animal at Spitting Cave. Posse member Zeeny later advised that Rocky was no longer at Kokee. Photos are inconclusive, but my dollar is on Rocky as the evening SC forager.

Irma @ Blowhole
 Kaiwi @ Spitting Cave
 
 Nice shot of the kid yapping out in the ocean
 Rocky @ Kokee Flats 
 Thank you Rocky rockystar for listening and NOT going to Waikiki
 I don't know what's funnier Rocky blowing bubbles... or her size looking like a giant flat rock
 2AW @ Tracks
 2AW and M+M @ Tracks
 So happy together !

 Gorgeous Noa @ Maili
 R018
 R018 hanging out at Maili with Noa
 Benny @ Makaha
 Kermit at White Plains ( I think he should have a cottage named after him)
 RO28 @ Secret Beach

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We drove over 120 miles looking for the seven critters, used lots of gas, walked alot of miles, and we loved the action. It was non stop and just a big thrill finding each TREASURE..
The most exciting find was 6FJ. That one threw me off..at first site, saw this beautiful youngin, snoozing, with the fat belly showing so white. Thought MAYBE IT WAS our beloved lost MAX!!!! It had two red tags, NOPE..and then I read the tags wrong, not recognizing the numbers, thinking, IS THIS A NEW SEAL??? Idiot me, called it in, thinking NEW SEAL ON OAHU..NOPE, after a short discussion with DB, I realized my error..went back and took a id shot of the tags..and saw for myself..it was NOA 6FJ...oopps. Pretty sad, but, I got it right afterwards..BUT HE WAS SO FRESH LOOKING, NEW TO MY OLD EYES. OK, move on, crap happens some times. Its ok, I AM HUMAN.
Finding M & M with 2AW, a shock..interesting combination..young pregnant seal with an older male..cute.

We had made three trips to the leeward coast..its ok, we found more critters along the route later in afternoon.

I say it and I say it again, I LOVE MONK SEALS, they are so unique, so precious, and they deserve some love and affection, protection.

Just wish we had started doing this when we were younger..wish I paid more attention to the seals. I mean we been watching them since 1976, took photos when we spotted them at various leeward beaches, but, man, I never saw them earlier than that. Or maybe I hadnt paid attention..cause they are around, hiding out, behind rocks, trees, on shore, etc. Its a real treat to find them daily, a real treat.

Sad to hear and see the shark bites on Irma...oh my gosh. So glad she is ok. It hurts to think even Irma, with all her experience around the islands, can be hurt by sharks.

Well, here comes the sun, another day to explore the shores of Hawaii, looking and hoping to find our treasures..THE HAWAIIAN MONK SEAL!!!