Thursday, December 24, 2009

Xmas eve with Kermit


Aloha good people, here's the email Barb sent me about todays' events out at white plains while watching Kermit. To the best of my knowledge Rob is fine ( thank goodness).... and as Barb says who knows... but it does bring out a good point... As volunteers we are out there and often worry about people harming the animals, we have to be careful for our own safety... I want to beleive this was some weird accident... but regardless... Rob you are in my thoughts for a quick recovery. ~donna

Hi, It was a great morning with the beautiful sunrise, A monk seal before us...Kermit. We were taking care of him, making sure he had a nice perimeter and all, the same thing we do every single day.

Suddenly three little kids crossed the perimeter, little kids. W both took off to make them get out immediately, with Daddy standing right there. Gave them some information of the dangers with monk seals that are wild, yet cuddly and cute. Our regular Seal 101. All was ok, the little family understood, keep away.

10:29am As I just snapped the last photo of Kermit, Rob had suddenly fallen to the ground to his knees. He almost knocked out. I didnt know what was wrong. Then he rose to his feet slowly, and to my shock was full of blood, his hands his face, neck, his shirt was splattered too. I thought he got shot or something or a beesting, but the blood just gushed out fast and I had nothing to cover the injury. A beach goer loaned us her sons tshirt. Rob put pressure to stop it.

I knew he needed help. I wanted to know who did this???? I turned to look at the crowd behind us, I just yelled, WHo done this, any one see anything???? Not one word from anyone. One lady said all she saw was this thing bouncing off of Robs head and she heard a thud.

I ran to the lifeguards to help Rob. Rob made his way over and they were shocked to see all the blood and immediately cleaned Robs face neck and hands of the blood. There was a little hole on his head, thats it.

I immediately called Base Police who were so full of questions. They came immediately, we looked around for the object and didnt see nothing.

Someone called the paramedics, not us, They checked him out. All was ok. Vitals high, but ok. No stitches needed. Bleeding stopped.

Rob refused to go for an examination. After all infor was exchanged, we continued to look in the crowd, continued to watch for Kermits safety.

Why????? I am very disappointed in MAN. Why????

Surfers got word of what happened...alll were shocked and angry, WHO they asked. We'lll never know.

Left at 1:00pm, made sure Kermit was fine. Rob decided to make the perrimeter even Larger so Kermit was safe. A Base Police Officer helped us, he was pissed. Even the surfer David came to help. We made Kermits thing HUGE!!!!!

Day is done, got to shop and be with Family now. Be safe Kermit.

I wonder, was the object ment for my Robert, was the object ment for Kermit or was it just an accident??? Hmmm.

Merry Xmas all, B


Some one called the Paramedics, not us.

After all was done....we continued our sitting with Kermit. He was fine the whole time we were there.

3 comments:

Nana Allen said...

Whatever happened to "Peace on Earth", especially during this Christmas season. I'm so disgusted with the actual murders of these wonderful creatures. Now one of the nicest, caring tender men getting injured while trying to watch and look after Kermit is just too much for me to digest this early Christmas morning. I don't know what's happening to mankind that we now have total disregard for animal and man !!!!!!
I am truly sorry that Robert was injured and I pray this absurd incident doesn't discourage others from going to our beaches to look after these animals and take the opportunity to do alot of outreach!!!! I am saying special prayers for both Robert and Barbara
when I go to bed shortly. I pray for their phsical and mental health and their safety now and always. I will also be saying a special pray of thanks for all the extreme dedication the Billands and D.B. do on a daily basis year round for the preservation of our BELOVED Critically Endangered Hawaiian Monk Seals !!!!

Diga said...

What a terrible thing to happen. I hope you're doing okay Robert. God bless you and Barbara for your dedication. Diane G.

Liz said...

I never knew about this- very shocking..