Monday, December 14, 2009

An Amazing Journey of Weaner A50

Aloha All-
So big news with the Nihoa weaner RA50 showing up at Sharks Cove this weekend. He is quite the young ocean voyager and traveled about 260 miles (straight line) to Oahu's North Shore. Of course, who knows how much he may have meandered during his journey. RA50 was captured in September as part of our relocation study in which we moved six young seals from French Frigate Shoals to Nihoa Island. RA50 and several of his fellow Nihoa residents were captured, health screened and instrumented with satellite tags to compare residents' behaviors with our translocated seals. RA50's satellite tag stopped transmitting on November 6, which was about 4 months earlier than projected. We were worried about his safety and were relieved when he showed up on Oahu. RA50 showed up with his satellite tag still attached and it was apparently entangled in some form of debris, I don't know the details yet so take everything with a grain of salt. Shortly after the initial sighting the tag fell off and was recovered (this is great..there is a lot of valuable data on that!). It is obvious to anyone who sees the seal or the photos that there is a wound where the tag was. We attach the tags to the seals' fur using epoxy and have several techniques we use to minimize discomfort, irritation or injury. The injury left behind by this tag is more severe than we usually see, though it is not life threatening. We surmise that whatever was entangled on the tag may have been impeding the transmission and increasing the amount of drag on the tag causing it to pull off prematurely. This likely exacerbated the wound. Now that the wound is open to the water, air and sun it should heal quickly, but RA50 may have a permanent mark in the area. It may disappear though since the skin does such a good job of repairing itself after each molt. Anyway, I just wanted to allay any concerns for our newest resident's health. Just to be certain, we want to keep monitoring him so please keep sending Tracy the sighting information. If you get photos of the wound you can send them to me also (charles.littnan AT noaa.gov). I would like to track the healing and try to learn whatever I can to help improve our attachment strategies. Tracking studies are critically important for this species, but we want to make sure that we utilize the best practices we can when researching and caring for these seals.

Cheers,
Charles

Charles Littnan
Lead Scientist, Hawaiian Monk Seal Research Program
NOAA Fisheries



2 comments:

Barbara said...

That is truly an amazing story Charles Littnan. I thank you for explaining all the questions I'm sure us seal people may have had. I feel much better learning what you said with the transmitter and his new injury. I know that seals have incredible healing powers and that new sore will heal. What a journey this little guy has had. A homeless person told us in November, she saw a little seal haul up near her tent at Tracks. It must have been this little trooper..A50!!! He is an amazing kid and I am glad he was discovered last night. Thanks to all involved in this Seals life. Welcome to Oahu, A50...hope you have a safe life. You already experienced, in your young life, your first episode of danger.

Sniper82 said...

Ii had the wonderful opportunity to meet A50 last Sunday at Sharks Cove. My Army buddies and Me were in one of the numerous caves snooping around and when I turned around to go back, I saw this Seal come up and I guess he didn't see me cause as soon as he came from about an arm length away he stopped dead in his tracks. Having never seen a seal that close underwater I was kinda nervous to see what he would do. We stared at each other for what seemed like a eternity, until I thought it was time to break the uncomfortable silence/stare and waved at him. He then swam out of the cave and started doing flips and playing peek a boo around some of the rocks, which was hilarious. My buddies and me followed him throughout sharks cove until we realized that we were running very low on air. I noticed his tag on his flipper when at one point he laid out on his back on the ocean floor like a dog wanting his tummy rubbed. When we went back to the scuba place I heard that there was a phone number you can call to report his location, so I will tomorrow. Other than seeing his tag I did not notice any other scars on him but he was very playful and happy to see us. I hope the next time we Dive sharks cove, we'll have the pleasure of seeing A50 again.