Thursday, December 24, 2009

DB Post 12.24.09 Thursday xmas eve

I was on the road at 0600 as usual, but my initial pass through the SE quadrant was a bust until my wife and I got to Spitting Cave. There we initially found Buster doing 8 minute dives, but on Buster's 3rd up he was suddenly in the company of Duke. They did 2 more ups together, and then at 0842 we caught a glimpse of Buster heading off toward the point and into the morning glare. We saw neither animal again at SC, but there was to be more to the story.

My first look at Rabbit Island was a bust, and it was still a bust when I got back to Makai Pier at 0930.

Because of Right Spot's uncharacteristic mid day haul out to Sandy Beach yesterday, I decided to go to Sandy Beach at 1030 and wait and see what would happen, knowing full well it was a fool's errand. Just as though I had the vaguest clue what I was doing, Right Spot hauled out right before my eyes at 1210. Stacey was there with me so I have a witness to the success of my insanity. I got Right Spot cordoned off and did lots of PR. She was still there at 1500, and I'll be returning to check her shortly.

At 1225 Mark, from NOAA called with the report of an animal newly hauled out to Diamond Head. I advised him to call Colleen, which he did. Both Mark and Colleen called back later to confirm that it was Irma ! I woulda' put my dollar on Rocky, but Irma really isn't a surprise since her two days at Spitting Cave suggested that she was heading back in that direction.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 1331 I found Buster at the right end of the beach. At 1455 Duke hauled out right of the 3BS, back home from their Spitting Cave adventure.

Team Billand reported Kermit at White Plains a 0700. I heard from Barbara again at 1027 , reporting that Robert had been hit in the head by an unknown , thrown object at the Kermit rope line. Barbara will be providing more info to da' blog, www.monksealmania.blogspot.com (hey thats here )

Right Spot showed no interest in leaving Sandy Beach. I picked up the rope at 1845 and left the signs.

No comments: