Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Young Molokai Seal seen on Oahu North Shore

From Volunteer Jennifer Maldonado
Today I received a call from Tracy with a seal sighting in Waialua. It was just minutes from my house near the Dole park. The call came from the caretaker there whom mistakingly thought the seal was dead. After arriving and smelling a horrible stench I thought I was in for a rough day but luckily I found RO30 in a deep sleep and the smell was from the nearby dumpsters. The caretaker is a cute 90 year old man (wow!) and has worked for the sugarmill for 78 years! He poked the seal with a stick and thought it was dead because she never moved. (I advised him not to that again) As soon as I got there it took a few minutes before she took a breath and then I took a breath! She was just super sleepy! Tracy tells me that she is a two year old juvenile born on Molokai and is quite a swimmer since she has been spotted on Kauai and now here in Oahu. Aloha, Jen

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Thanks from my heart Jen, for report on 030..Rosie!I am bonded with her as we found her on Mothers Day 5/11/08 & on Fathers Day, 6/15/08. When Hoku was hooked, I was a wreck on June 15. It was a first hooking experience and after all the trauma, Rosie appeared that day, as if to say...all will be ok. My mom's name was Rosie so it was like a connection from heaven. Also, after winning the binoculars at the Ewa B. meeting..Rob said the winning number was 030..Rosie's Tag #. And now that I'm a wreck after finding Hoku 10/5/08..you share Rosie's sighting. One more thing...I was wearing her shirt, I made one of Rosie the Molokai Seal yesterday. It's just feelings I am experiencing with this seal. She appears when I need a encouragement, you know. One last thing. On 5/11/08 we found her very still and people were poking her too. She never moved either. She snorted and we knew she was just very tired all the way from Molokai. It was her first Oahu trip that day. So guess she is a sound sleeper! Thanks again. You made my day better.