Thursday, February 27, 2020

02/27/2020 Thursday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

I was out at Kahana all day yesterday. Driving home in the late afternoon I got a glimpse of a BIG seal at Aukai - wasn't able to stop so no ID. The seal was cordoned off and there was a volunteer there.
As I was about to go up our driveway I did one last look back and there was a seal hauled out on the beach. I backed up and went back to get it's ID. I was lucky cause it had just hauled out, was all breaded but one look with the zoom I got that white eye of R330 Squinty.

This morning I went to check on him he had just left according to the fresh trail he left behind.
Just a couple of galumphs away a freshly hauled out RL98 Lina was sleeping away.
From that spot I zoomed the whole beach and saw a seal on the opposite side of our bay. When I got the I IDed RW02 PVKauai by his scars then showed me his tags.
Down at the point I had a fun surprise RG22 (M) (KP2's young brother) was down near the waterline. I saw a little seal come in the pool like a torpedo and in a beeline came straight up to him - it was RJ28 (M) (Pohaku's 2017 boy). He has a NB on his LFF and for a while I thought it was "Lefty". Team T&D arrived and Tammy corrected me Lefty is RG28. I looked back at my cheat sheet and there it was. RG28 Lefty is Pohaku's 2015 kid. So my mix was in the same family.
As far as we know it's the first time RJ28 shows up on this rock. I saw him as a new born in Kauai so it's a pleasure to have him come around to visit.
He spent the morning rolling over and being roll on by RG22 - those 2 definitely know each other.
Sealette Kauai & Kauai volunteer team and Sealette Molokai - I/We are doing our best to keep an eye on your kids and it has been a challenge to keep up all these visitors.
Dave went to check the outside reefs and from there he looked at us and mimicked a small seal. I went over the opposite side to check and IDed RL74 Kami tucked up high on some rocks.
While we were at the point we got to see not one but two BFA flying over us.
We started to head back to check the birds. Tammy beside me said is that a seal, I looked to the Runway and yes there was a seal. Dave that was ahead of us pointed to the side and said there's your friend... turns out it was Mr. Pheasant. Dave also noticed that he was banded
This evening I got the information that he's one of the wildlife released birds from Kuaokala that manage to make his escape from the hunting area!!
Back to the seal on the Runway it was RN58 Luana.

We checked on PVKauai and Lina on our way out and they were still there. I saw her leaving after sunset.   more tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: