Saturday, February 8, 2020

02/08/2020 Saturday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

This morning Philomene, Marilyn, Diane and I braved the cold wind and made it into Ka'ena.
We saw The TRIO Snow Geese on our way in and later on our way out - they are happy with all those puddles
As we were walking down the trail in the NARS we spotted a dark head beside an Albatross on the top field. I went up to check and there was our Black Footed Albatross. He took off before I got to see if he was banded. He flew in circles for quite sometime. From the corner of my eye I saw something red coming out of a Naupaka bush. It was Mr. Pheasant, we hadn't seen him out here in a very longtime.
I went down to Main Beach to meet the girls. They had RN58 Luana bellow the big rock and little RL74 Kami on the coral beach snuggled between some rocks. We were spread out doing out reach when I saw a little head pop up in the Main Pool. It was RK40 Napua. She has been seen before at the point but hasn't for a very longtime. we usually see her on this side around Birth Beach/Tables. It had been several weeks since we last saw her so it was great to have her.
Although we checked other beaches those were the only seals we saw today.
Monitoring the Albatross nests I found a new hatched chickie - presented here to you by it's proud parents, a friendly neighbor and me
More tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: