Friday, February 28, 2020

02/28/2020 Friday Monk Seal Dailies

Today's dailies are brought to you by Lesley, Team Billand and me.  Lesley's Ka'ena observation is part two of the dailies.

I was able to observe Rabbit Island today between 12:30 and 1:45 this afternoon.  I did observe Mom and PO1 were in a waterhole by seal rock inlet. My vantage point today allowed me to see them in the waterhole.  Just about 1:30 I spotted a critter about 10 feet to the left of the water hole and after closely watching I realized it was PO1.  The pup got about 10 feet away from Mom paused for a minute then turned around and headed back.  


At left point beach was a young juvenile which I suspect is the one of the youngen's from last year. Much to my surprise when I got home and viewed the photos to the left of the UJ was an adult seal. I did see it and thought it was a rock, now in all fairness the seal was laying on top of a rock.  I had a good laugh, because so many times I stare at rocks wondering if it is a seal, and today it actually was!

Team Billand had been out at the outfall this morning and called the hotline to inform them of some concerns over nets in the area. Volunteers arrived to deal with the situation. 
Team Billand got a call of a seal at Plains and headed out. When they arrived at 9:30 the found RH92 Nalani peacefully sleeping on shore. There was a zone around Nalani most likely set up by the lifeguards. Team Billand called the hotline and waited but no one came. 
They headed out to check other locations.  Shortly after leaving
they got a call of another seal at Plains.
There they found Buster RV08 in a zone resting comfortably. They called the hotline again this time to report that there were two seals on shore. They stuck around for an hour and no one arrived. 

Team Billand headed back and stopped at a beach near the outfall. They found Lefty RG28 sleeping on  his rocks. He was resting peacefully.

Last find of the day for Team Billand was a west side location. There was only one seal on left high rocks. It was Kekoa Alii RK72. He was on his own today.

Mom and PO1 in water hole
 PO1 about 10 feet from Mom 
 Little buggah waved at me
 unknown adult and unknown juvenile 
 RH92 Nalani
 Buster RV08 
RG28 Lefty
 Kekoa Alii RK72

No comments: