Thursday, February 13, 2020

02/13/2020 Thursday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

This morning Molly and I headed out to the point together. She had her monthly Yellow Face Bee survey to do
On our way out we stopped at Hidden Beach where a freshly RW02 PVKauai was settling down for the day.
In the NARS as I was hiking to the point I saw RN58 Luana hauled out nice and dry on the Runway. While I was documenting her from the hill a second seal showed up and made it's way towards her. It was R3CU, Luana barked something, he just moved a little to the side and hauled out right there with her. Hours later when I checked again they were still there.
At the point I spotted a seal on the outer reefs, on my way to ID it I came up on RL74 Kami sleeping peacefully in a little cove.
The seal on the reef didn't move it's hind flippers moved slightly with the waves NO TAGS, horrible light a flashback of yesterday.
Team T&D (Tammy and Dave), back from their rock hoping  - yuhuuuu!! - arrived at the point and helped with outreach and photo documentation. As I was about to leave around noon and the creature finally turned around and showed us it's bellie !! A male, not one of our Oahu seals so definitely being reported as a U/M. I will share info about him as soon as I get some (known seal or a new Temp).
On our way back I found RL98 Lina by her trails she overnighted on this side. She has become quite an adventurer, cris-crossing everyday for the past week!
The TRIO Snow Geese were up and down the top road today playing in the puddles.
The Albatross chicks are growing fast.   More tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: