Saturday, February 15, 2020

02/15/2020 Saturday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

This morning Marilyn and I came in to the point from opposite directions.
On my way in and hours later on my way out I saw The TRIO Snow Geese playing in puddles on the top road.
When I entered the NARS I saw a BFA (Black Footed Albatross) flying around.
It was a cool seal day
My first find was RW02 PVKauai in Ka'ena's Pool, further on little RL98 Lina was sleeping nice and dry high on some rocks.
I met with Marilyn who had just seen and IDed 2 seals at the point we headed back together to see them. Our new guy R407 nicknamed "Kawika" was hauled out half dry half wet near the center island reef of the Main Pool - tide has been very low the last couple of days.
On Back Beach RL70 Leina was up near the rock mid beach. Marilyn and I both agreed that she has grown some since she first showed up here in November.
Before heading out Marilyn wanted to do one last check on Lina, from up of the hill she waved at me and showed 2 fingers. I went up and from there we saw the seals on the Runway : RN58 Luana & R3CU.

I told Marilyn about the BFA and she said she had seen 2 of them near the decoys when she came in. on our way out we went by to check but they weren't around. Marilyn headed to the West and I went back down to follow the Opihi trail. I found little RL74 Kami in a spot where I have only seen a seal once and it was Squinty when he first showed up on Oahu 6/7 (?) yrs ago.
It was nice to see the 3 little girls today. I always wonder if they "get together" sometimes...
I check all the other haul outs to here and didn't see another seal.

No comments: