Tuesday, February 25, 2020

02/25/2020 (part 2) Tuesday Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Sorry have some up dates from my days off to add to todays report. There was a lot going on around here. Today life went back to an easier pace.
On Sunday Feb23 - RW02 PVKauai spent all day hauled out in front of Lyman's
Yesterday Feb24 - RL98 Lina spent all day hauled out down the beach towards CE Pt
This morning after working with park maintenance team I was able to go to the point mid morning. On my way I saw The TRIO Snow Geese and checked on some Albatross chicks along the way to the point.
The predicted swell started to roll in fast and washed the beaches along the way. RO40 Ka'ena was solo in the Main Pool rolling from one side to the other. On a bigger set a splash caught the corner of my eye towards the Flats side. It was RN58 Luana. She climbed on some reefs to rest.
While checking on Ka'ena a hiker waved at me showing another seal entering the Main Pool. RW02 PVKauai swam right up to Ka'ena. There was a bark or two and he moved to the shallow and turned bellie up. Ka'ena from his reef looked back at him turned around and left the pool. I did not see him again.
Shortly after another big set rolled in and washed Luana off her rock. She started to swim towards the Main Pool, PVKauai must have smelled her and came like a torpedo in her direction. She tried to back up but it was to late. For the next hour or so they "played around, made it to the outer pool and came back into the Main one. Luana took the lead and hauled out center beach. Hikers that had been adding up started to move aside as instructed if the seals came back to haul out. PVKauai followed her. 
They kept galumphing up the beach to the base of the Big Rock, passed it towards the Naupakas  "blocking" the path down to the beach.
I was roasted by sun and wind, dozens of hikers moved away and finally I was alone again.
As I left I looked back they were sleeping like rocks. Hope they didn't get disturbed.
Late this afternoon our beach was being washed all the way to the Naupaka line. Apparently swell will still be high tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: