Saturday, June 4, 2016

6/4/2016 DB's Dailies: Right Spot@Sandy Beach, Sadie&Pup,Kea,Kekoa,RG32&UM@Rabbit Island, Pohaku@CIP, Rocky@Magic Island, Squinty&Ka'ena@Ka'ena Point

At 0556 I pulled into Sandy Beach to find Right Spot (R016) waiting for me at the east end. I cordoned her off and notified the HMMA Hotline. I did multiple checks through the day, as well and posse members Christian Young, Gayle & Marilyn stopping by to check on her. Marilyn called at 1433 to advise that Right Spot was gone. I got a Hotline call at 1634 reporting an animal at the east end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1644 I found Right Spot....Again. I cordoned her off....Again ! Picked up the rope at 1945. Right Spot remains.

 At 0740 I found Sadie&Pup(D#38)(B12) at 1BS, Kea(RN46)&Kekoa(RK72) together up in the Morning Glory, 80 ft right of 3BS & an U/M at Rocky Right Beach, on Rabbit Island.

 Oceanic Institute scientists had spoken with me as I arrived at Makai Pier, advising that the had a permit to collect Opihi at Rabbit Island today. I advised them of Sadie& Pup as well as the potential for other animals. They did their collections at the far right end of RI. The only animal they came in contact with was the Rocky Right Beach animal, and he was still there when they departed, though out of my line of sight. The only thing I know about that animal is that it was a probable juvenile male. They said they saw tags but there was no other info. Photos are being sent so ??????

 At 0811 RG32 came out of the high grasses behind Seal Rock Inlet. He would later galumph over to join Kea & Kekoa.

 At 0910 Team Billand checked in with the report of Pohaku (RO28) foraging at CIP. Rob was doing the checks while Barbara supervised from the car.

 At 0956 Marilyn checked in from the End of the World with the report of Squinty (R330) at the main pool at Ka’ena Point. At 1110 she reported Ka’ena (RO40) at BG’s Pool.

 Ocean Safety (Lifeguards) called at 1127 with the report of an animal at Magic Island. I notified the HMMA Hotline. No further info.

 Totally separate from the above call, posse member Christian Young happened to check in at 1317 with the report of Rocky (RH58) in the trough at Magic Island. His photos confirm the Rocky ID.

 Kea, Kekoa and RG32
 Sadie and pup 
 UM
Pohaku
 Rocky
 Right Spot
Ka'ena
 R330 Squinty

No comments: