Wednesday, June 29, 2016

6/29/2016 Nihoa and PO3 Drama-rama

Aloha Good People

At 10:30 this morning I got a text from a Lauray and Kelly who were out at Mokuleia combing the beach for shells.... Lauray sent the following pictures saying this was potentially a bad situation.
I told her to call the hotline and report it and asked if there were any volunteers around.... 
While I was waiting for the response I forwarded the information to Diane G (who I thought MIGHT be out at the site)....   

Okay... fast forward... Lauray and Kelly were on the opposite side of the SPZ than Diane.  Nihoa and PO3 were outside the SPZ....  This boat was there with a huge net hanging off the side... Nihoa was spending a lot of time barking and gesturing towards the boat.... so Miss Kelly snuck around the rear of the boat and moved it away from the Mom and pup ( YEA! Kelly).... In the meantime the owner of the boat showed up and explained there had been an emergency and he had to come to shore quickly.  In the end.... Mom and Pup are safe.... Boat and Owner are back to sea.... Kelly made a heroic effort... Lauray and Diane texted back all is calm....   LOL  this is what I know, there may be more to the story I don't know.... but it had to be nerve racking....    

Having said  that I read the HMMA update of the dog incident yesterday.... Holy Hannah what a crazy couple of days!  



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi..This is Lauray. Kelly was at the beach with a friend of hers. I was at home. They texted me because of sketchy phone reception out there. I had initially called the hotline, but it went to voicemail. Then I texted you as I was calling the injured animal hotline because we were trying to get help ASAP. In the meantime, Kelly spoke to Diane, the volunteer who was on site/on duty. Something had to be done right away because Kelly said that Nihoa was so agitated that she had apparently tried to bite the boat several times. It is my understanding that once the boat was back in the water, Nihoa and PO3 settled down and went to sleep. Alls well that ends well...

Donna said...

okay so much for my accurate reporting LOL ... I thought you were there too! HAAAAA okay either way you and Kelly did great work.... making the calls and working things out.

Next time I will ask you more detailed questions... like where are you?