Friday, August 23, 2013

8-23-2013 DB's Dailies: Kea@AD, Irma&Benny@KBP, Kolohe&Ewa Girl@RI, Pohaku@Secrets, Haupu@PC, M&M@KCG, RIP@Makaha

At 0545 we found Kea (RN46) at the cove 100 ft east of the AD Wall. He would move into the inlet and then with a high tide, venture out onto the flats and head west. At 0718 he was washed off the west end of the flats, and having been there before, seemed to recognize that he didn’t want to be there. With laborious swimming and galumphing he managed to get back onto the flats, and by 0835 when I departed he was back at the east margin of the flats. According the log he moved east to his favorite nook, 200 yds east of the wall, and then back to haul out around 1215 at his usual spot 100 yds east of the wall. One loose dog got into the SPZ and right up to Kea before the owner could catch up and get it outta' there. He was snoozin' at end of day.  
 
At 0920 I found Irma (R010) & Benny (RE74) on the rocks at Kaupo Beach Park. They would remain there until the rising tide got to them at 1250, and the entered the pond. At 1300 they moved outside and I lost them.
 
At 0939 I found Kolohe (RW22) at Left Middle Cliff, on Rabbit Island. He would enter the water at 1030.
 
At 0943 an animal moved out of the shadows , also at Left Middle Cliff. To my shock & awe it was a 60% molted Ewa Girl (RS00)!!! She had last been seen at the Reef Runway, just beginning her molt on 8-15-13. I have no clue how long she may have been at RI, but today is the time I’ve seen her. Her last RI visit came on 8-18-12. Its been a lonnng time !
 
Team Billand reported Pohaku (RO28) at Secrets at 0643. Her molt is 100%. She would be gone somewhere between 1200 - 1300.
 
At 0708 the Billands reported Haupu (RB24) at Paradise Cove.
 
At 0929 Cianna called to report an "N31" sighting at Turtle Bay. I later received mail from posse member Christian with a photo from a friend showing La’akea (RK82) just beyond Kahaku Point.
 
Team Billand reported M&M (R020) at Kalaeloa Campgrounds at 0955. She was gone at 1055.
 
At 1323 I got a call from Ocean Safety reporting "an animal with a transmitter" hauled out at Makaha. The Billands would confirm the RIP (RR70) ID.
 
Marilyn did the Ka’ena Point trek today, and found nobody but LOTS of people.
 

She stopped by to check on R912&Pup and provide some shots.
Ewa Girl back on Rabbit Island... it certainly has been a long long time.
First time I ever laid eyes on Ewa Girl was through a scope while she was on Rabbit island... and shortly there after she gave birth to Kerby! (back in 2008) 
 DB's home away from home... oh yea and there's Irma and Benny visiting close by 
 not so little Kea 
 What a cute kid!
 Kolohe back on Rabbit Island too!
 Ka'ena Point - today's wild life are the hordes of 2 legged critters
 La'akea I am sure all your Aunties are happy to see this photo
 Little pup doing a happy dance in the air while he gets some lunch
 R912 and baby
 Mom am I doing it right? I want to be just like you
milk and sand grits for a snack
 Haupu at Paradise Cove
 Pohaku @ Secrets
 Don't I look FABULOUS in my new coat?
 I know I do
 MM giving Team Billand a big ole' rasberry
 and now she's laughing about it (poor thing is probably trying to cough something up)
 oh look a new toy
 Rip Coppola film maker at large

No comments: