Monday, October 25, 2010

1/24/2010 DB Dailies

On our 0750, Spitting Cave check we found a bumper crop of critters. First it was Duke, fronting the big rock, munching on a pufferfish, and 200 ft to the right were Buster and Kolohe together. Buster remained for only one up. Kolohe was buggin' him, and he apparently took off. We did not see him again. Duke and Kolohe remained in their respective locations with no observed interaction.

SC was teaming with life today. We spent time with a group of six Eagle Rays ( I never saw more than 4 before), and a boat came by with Dolphins on the bow wave, and of course there were lots of turtles. The only thing missing was a Whale. No luck there.

My first look at Rabbit Island had been a bust. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0930, the place was still bare, however on a pan at 1023 I'm happy to say, I found Sam was just hauling out to the far left end of the beach. He moved up and remained the only RI resident for the rest of the day. I've been stressin' for 11 days now, since I last saw my youngest. The last sighting was 10-13-10. I guess it doesn't get easier the more you are around them... But of course you are the proud PaPa.

At 0955 Team Billand checked in with the report of 4DJ at Iroquois Point, and at 1138 came the next call with word that Irma was fronting tower #1 at White Plains. At 1640 they found Rocky at Nimitz Cove.

Team Kenyon survived yet another trek to the end of the world at Ka'ena Point. They found Ka'ena on the way in,a half mile from the trail head, and Kerby&Ka'ena together on the way out along the Waianae side trail, and CeeCee further in. Kiko was at the point again today.
Eagle Rays - okay I'll ask being a dam yankee... what is the difference between a sting ray and eagle ray?
Little man Sam
Duke and Puff

2 comments:

Keith Kenyon said...

I don't know what all of the differences are, but sting rays are typically found on ocean floor and have an actual stinger (used in self defense) Eagle rays live in the open ocean rather than on the sea bottom. I think they both eat the same sort of food -- mollusks and crustaceans.

johnson said...

Duke and Kolohe remained in their respective locations with no observed interaction.

man cave signs