Friday, October 15, 2010

10/14/2010 KP2 Caretaker Dr. Terrie Williams Updates Volunteers

Aloha Good People and Ho'ailona (KP2) fans....

I had the good fortune to meet Dr. Terrie this evening and along with several volunteers listened to an update on our favorite little seal.  He continues to do well and has put on weight since we last saw him... he's close to 200 lbs.  His diet has expanded and he's not as fussy as when he was last on the islands...

He still is a curious little bugger, often leaving Dr. Terrie scratching her head noting that he does not behave like most seals... ( we already know he's not like most seals)...  He has done very well with training and the group at Santa Cruz facility has learned much from him as well....

You can certainly stay up to date on with Ho'ailona by checking out his website and facebook page.
http://www.monkseal.ucsc.edu/KP2/Home.html

http://www.facebook.com/people/Hoailona-Monk-Seal/566217413

I welcome any of the folks attending to share their favorite stories.... mine was his poking holes in the ceiling when it rained and the plastic covering would sag.... leave it to him to be leaping up nipping at a giant water balloon....

3 comments:

Barbara said...

We were so proud to be in that room with all the volunteers and experts who have cared for KP2 (Hoilona). He continues to draw in peoples hearts and souls, just as he done to all of us. Yes, it was hilarious whne they tried to shoot a photo with KP and the bottle for some program. He immediately went for the bottle, grabbing it, feeling texture, perhaps a scent, tossing it about. And hearing about the ceiling having pukas..so funny. It was KP2 who had the time to figure out, how to get to the ceiling of water. He was always very acrobatic. Hearing how he does all his commands is amazing. To teach a seal commands...its like teaching a dog. And that is why we can never befriend WILD seals..EVER. I learned myself through observing KP, seals ADAPT to anything given to them. He does have temper tantrums at first, but, he get over the new thing and accepts it. I listened to everything intently as if we were right there with KP2. And when Terri explained, he has this amazing bellowing sound...I could hear it. I think they have learned much about seals, thanks to our Hawaiian Monk..KP. And I think, he is almost ready to come back HOME to Hawaii. Just seeing his few shots of arriving in California to what he is NOW, I saw a different face..AN older, mature guy..KP2. And to hear he has gained so much weight..that is super great. I am glad he is eatting all his new fruits and veggies...see, he adapts to anything. To hear of the pink board they placed in his habitat was funny...its what he had on Molokai, it set off a familar thought in his brains..HOME. I wanted to hear more of KP...he still has this AMAZING SPOT in my heart..and that feeling is FOREVER. I truly hope, KP2 will make it home...where he is loved also. Thank you Terri, Beau, Tracy and all those guys in Santa Cruz who are taking great care of our little boy..EXCUSE ME..BIG GUY...KP2. Bless you all!!! B

Diga said...

I really enjoyed Terrie's presentation. I learned some interesting things about seals that I didn't know before and why they want to measure a seals metabolic rate. We always knew KP2 was smart. It sounds like he is a great student and has learned a lot of commands to help his caretakers take care of him and learn more about the Hawaiian Monk seal. Loved hearing about KP2 and his ladder fettish. Brought back memories of trying to take the ladder out of the pool while he did everything he could to keep there. Wish more volunteers could have been there. Diane G.

Hawaii Stella's said...

I liked hearing it all. It was special to hear how he is doing! Now I have changed my mind and I really hope they don't do his eye surgery. He is doing just fine the way he is. If he can follow Beau like that and do what he needs to do, I say leave 'em. They know what is best for him just my two cents.
I wonder if he still makes that vibration/noise. I used to lean my back against his tank and feel the vibration. Do you guys remember that? Sometimes when I get super stressed I reflect on that and feel better.
I really enjoyed hearing about Antartica and seeing the two seals in the camera.
Thank you Terri for you time.
Miss you KP2.
what is the thing on the 20th? My inlaws will be here so I can attend.