Thursday, June 25, 2009

DB Post Wednesday 6/24/2009

On my first look at Rabbit Island I found only M&M at 3BS. She would remain there until entering the water at 1327, swimming off to the right. Whether she was just going out for a feed, or off to Molokai remains to be seen.

At 0820 I found Irma at Irma's. She would remain there all day. I'll do a recheck at dusk.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 0928 , I found Sadie at the right end of the beach. Her D#6 molt is approximately 70%.

At 1136 RIP hauled out at the left end of the beach. He would remain there all day.

My main concern for most of the day was not finding Duke. It was not until I went to the Makapuu Overview (MO),at 1300, that I found that he was just off shore of the left end of the beach. He had not been visible from the pier. When I got back to the pier at 1330, I had no trouble getting glimpses of him, knowing where to look. On a pan at 1412 I found Dukes bulbous butt staring back at me from atop a rock slab location fronting 2BS. I would have loved to have seen how he did that. It was an impossible location, nevertheless, there he was. He had to have had major help from just the right wave, and the rising tide.

Posse person Rachel, called at 1020 to advise that Rocky had overnighted , once again at Diamond Head. She sent excellent photos of a 15% molted Rocky.

Jenn Metz did the Ka'ena Point trek today, and sent excellent photos of Kerby (RW08), Benny (RE74), and Ka'ena (RO40).

Posse person Stacy called at 1910 to report that Irma had just been run off. I was on my way down at the time and arrived at 1913 to see that she was gone, with nobody around. I called it a day at 1930.

No comments: