Tuesday, June 23, 2009

DB Post Tuesday 6/23/2009


On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0634 I found M&M and RIP close together near the 3BS at the right end of the beach. When I got to Makai Pier, at 0657, I also found that Ewa Girl & Duke were side by side up in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS, at the left end of the island. They were still there side by side when I departed the pier at 0730.

After finishing my first round of SE quadrant checks I got back to Makai Pier at 0935, and found none of the morning cast still visible.

At 1051 I looked at Kaupo Beach Park from the lanai, and found that Irma was on some rocks at the beach park. Nobody had a clue she was there, so I elected not to respond and put up signs, since this would only draw attention to her. I aso knew that she wouldn't last long at that location with the rising tide. Sure enough at 1115 she departed due to the risingd tide , and I did not see her again today, despite an afternoon recheck of the entire SE quadrant.

At 1102 M&M and RIP hauled out together to the left end of the beach, and would remain there all day. There was no observed interaction.

Despite constant, non-stop panning of the island, I could never find EG&Duke. At 1148 I found a lone Duke hauling out to an impossible location fronting 2BS, amongst some gnarly water front rocks. It was then that I knew that EG had weaned her pup. Ultimately, Duke would be washed from that location by the rising tide, and at 1414 he would haul out to the left end of the beach. He would galumph up to the Morning Glory where his day had begun along side Mom. This time it was an entirely different world.

At 1236 Rachel checked in to advise that Rocky had one again overnighted at Diamond Heaqd.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Since we were in Waikiki yesterday, we decided to visit the rotting seal, Rocky. And wouldnt ya know, the queen left the site? But we got to see all the signs left on shore. He. He. Guess Rocky was hot and went for a short swim. Your sign is great, "SHHH,I'm sleeping!That is so cool!!!

Barbara said...

And so, we have a new weaner, DUKE!! We want to wish you a safe journey sweet, FAT, awesome monk seal of Rabbit Island. Good luck! Remember, stay away from HUMANS, HOOKS and NETS!!! We'll be looking forward in seeing you on shore some day soon. Thanks DB for all the daily reports on DUKES progress, and the reports on how great a mom Ewa Girl IS!! Your watchful EAGLE EYES DONE GOOD!!!