Thursday, June 25, 2009

DB Post Thursday 6/25/2009

I am happy to report that at 0626 this morning, from the Makapuu Overview I got my first glimpse of M&M and her new pup, at 3BS on Rabbit Island. Because of the extensive water front rocks, it was difficult to get shots of the new arrival. The coming days should provide lots of opportunities.

At 0630 , also from MO I found Duke swimming , off shore of the left end of the Rabbit Island. At 1232 he would haul out fronting the Right Greenery (RG), mid way between 1BS an 2BS. He would remain there the rest of the day.

Sadie was the only other Rabbit Island resident. She stayed at the right end of the beach. Her molt is approximately 80%.

While at Makai Pier I happened to find Irma at Kaupo Beach Park, on some water front rocks at 1026. She would remain there until the tide got to her at 1250.

Since both Colleen and Rachel were off island today, I made a Diamond Head recon at 0823. Rocky continued to rot nicely, a few hundred feet east of the Diamond Head path. Her molt is approximately 50%. She was still there when I departed at 0900. I returned at 1530, but Rocky was not there. I found that Judd (Colleen's other half) had already stowed the signs. A beach walker assured me that there was not an animal at the Beach Rd end of the beach. I drove to the Black Pt. access road and at 1630 found Rocky 200-300 yds west of the access. The very high, and still rising tide made access to her location impossible for me, or any other beach user. Since the tide would continue to rise through dark, I figured she was going to be just fine at that location.

1 comment:

Dana Jones said...

DB, What a good and prolific Daddy you are. Congratulations on yet another RI PUP. Wow, this seems to be the French Frigate Shoals of the MHI. Thank you for your always diligent watch over these baby critters and the Moms. They seem to know they have safety with you and your Monachus Karma.