Wednesday, June 10, 2009

DB Post Wednesday 6/10/09

It was a Rabbit Island day. Ewa Girl & Pup (D#34) did 3 swims and 4 feeds, staying at the left end of the island all day.

I would find Sadie tucked into the base of the cliff at the middle cliff area, back in the shadows at 0844. She would enter the water at 1055 and I would not see her again today.

I found Buster fronting the 3BS at 1432.

The real highlight of the day came on a routine pan of the beach at 1409. I just happened to see a small, very, very, green animal just moving up from behind some water front rocks at the far right end of the beach, due to the rising tide. I may not have ever gotten an ID, had it not been for a Red Tailed Tropic Bird that just happened to come tumbling down from out of the grass, and over the cliff, exactly were the little critter was located. It scared the scat outta' the little critter, and in the freak out, I lucked out and saw the "X" bleach on his right side. I would later see the dorsal epoxy, which all says that Kolohe is back !!!

I'd last seen the boy on 6-2-09 on Rabbit Island, but I had gotten a report from a person working at the Black Point end of Diamond Head last week reporting a "2-3 foot animal" swimming off shore of Black Point, but never hauling out. I thought then, and I think now, that based on size, Kolohe would be a prime suspect. He is known to have gone as far as Aina Haina, so it's definitely possible. Based on the heavy duty algae build up , it's obvious that the boy has been logging some serious water time since I last saw him . Aloha, DB

No comments: