Tuesday, January 26, 2010

1/26/2010 DB Dailies

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0729 I found RIP snoozin' up behind the log , 40 ft left of 1BS, and Sadie fronting 1BS. Both would move down to cool but remain at RI all day.

At 0737 I found Buster up in the grass at the right end of the beach. He would later move down to cool off and gave me my first look at his newly acquired N21 bleach. It was clearly visible but none of my shots today adequately captured the new bleaches.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 0930 I found Kolohe on the beach, 80 ft right of 3BS. He was moving down so I presume that he'd been up in the tall grass all morning, and I'd just missed him.



At 1119, Mikala hauled out along side Buster at the right end of the beach. There was no interaction. Her N20 bleach was also clearly visible.

I did a Sandy Beach check around 1230 or so and spent time on the beach with posse persons Allison and Lesley. At 1255 I had relocated to Blow Hole to get an better overview of Sandy Beach and within 10 seconds of my arrival there I found Right Spot just hauling out to the east end of the beach. I scurried back to Sandys and cordoned her off. She has remained there all afternoon. I'll be returning shortly.

Team Billand's first call came at 0716. They were responding to a "dead seal" call in Makaha. As is usually the case it would turn out to be a perfectly happy,healthy Irma snoozin' on he beach. Not that long ago the routine call such as this were just just written off as the general public's unfamiliarity with Monk Seal sleeping habits. Today, you just can't assume that anymore.  At 0954 they reported Kermit at White Plains, near the east end fence.

The next call came at 1038 reported Rocky at Kermit' Reef on the west side of the Nimitz Jetty. Another call at 1456 advised that Benny had just hauled out to join Rocky.

I picked up the rope at Sandy Beach at 1900. Right Spot was still there.

No comments: