Wednesday, April 3, 2019

April 3, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Yesterday while in Kauai I got some photos of R353 (F) at Mokuleia in front of Dillingham Ranch - doing outreach on the phone I was able to ID  R353 photos later confirmed her.

Today back on the rock I was out very early and had a full day work.
In the seal world I first spotted RR70 "RIP" on reefs in the center of Main Pool. 

Then R3CU on Back Beach.While doing outreach RO40 "Ka'ena" entered the pool. checked on his big brother and headed to his own spot. There was no interaction
A short while later a third seal poped up at the entrance of the pool. Didn't think twice and went straight towards "RIP" who woke up and told him to get out. R3CU did a back stroke swim in a flash. He tried another couple of times and got the same treatment. He left the pool and swam around the outside of the point and in and out of the side pools. When I left he was still moving around.

R3CU new bite wasn't visible, he was very active and doing great
I had been told by hikers at the point that a BIG seal had hauled out at Hidden Beach - I told them it could be RN58 "Luana". Sure enough when I got there it was her. She's starting to look like a submarine.

When I got back on this side while checking the front beaches again I saw a spot down at Camp Erdman Point. it was RG40 "Holokai".   More tomorrow ๐ŸŒบ




No comments: