Wednesday, April 17, 2019

April 17, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Yesterday in the early morning from the driveway I saw a seal @ CE Pt. When I got down there I was able to ID an overnighted RG40 “Holokai” by the transmitter and camera scars on his back. His tags were all sandy but I could see the side of “G”.
Later on from the driveway I saw a couple getting real close to him to take selfies. He didn’t like them and moved to the water. That was definitely a TAKE but not much I could do from so far.

Today I found R366 (M) in the same spot I saw him on Monday. He is looking fine and may have entered the water and hauled out again in the same spot. Note: he has been documented there before so there’s no concern.
It was a nice temperature morning but there were several showers coming from the East side. Most of them went thru the mountains and out by Makua Valley  other went straight out to sea. We got some “in betweens”.
Heading back that last look at Hidden Beach and there was a seal hauling out – to the delight of Paul and Elizabeth visitors from the Netherlands as well as mine. As we made it down to the beach the rain stopped so I went back to get my camera. When I got back down I saw a 2nd seal in the water getting ready to haul out. There was NO doubt it was RN58 “Luana” – as big as a submarine. The other seal saw her hauling out and moved  down to meet her washing his flipper and showing us his W04 tag. Thank you RW02 “PVKauai”.
The difference in size may result in several reports of a momma and kid on the beach there.  More tomorrow

 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lesley, thank you again for the ride back what turned into a private tour!
We loved the 2 seals at hidden beach. It was very nice to meet you. Keep up the good work!
Regards Paul&Elizabeth

Lesley said...

You are welcome.
"Look back to come back". Enjoy the rest of your trip
A hui hou kākou