Wednesday, April 18, 2018

4/18/2018 Monk Seal Dailies:

Today's dailies are brought to you by Team Billand and Team T&D.   Lesley's compete Ka'ena Point Update is part 2 of the dailies.

Team Billand was out early as usual and searched many beaches without seeing a single seal. When they arrived at Tracks they spot a couple of seals fighting on land and in the water. The seals moved along but still fighting on land and in the water. They called the hot line and them what was going on.
The seals moved again and this time three tourist decided to enter
the water and snorkel.  The seals suddenly turned and went towards the swimmers, who had no idea they were so close.  One woman got scared, panicked and screamed, took off towards land. The seal came in back of them. The woman was crying and clearly shaken up by the experience. Team Billand checked with her to make sure she was okay, and she said she was just frightened.  As for the seals they moved on shore once again and then headed out towards the Jetty where they go fishing for lunch/dinner. Oh by the way the rascals causing all the commotion, RN14 Kalani, and RH32 Ka'ale (aka butt head).

Team Billand followed both seals for a time, and then they just swam separate, swiftly towards the jetty where now there were fishermen fishing.  They walked down to the jetty very carefully but they lost sight of RN14 Kalani.  They did speak with the fishermen, who recognized Team Billand from Nimitz.  Then Team Billand spot a deal doing 6 minute dives and got the tags, turns out to be RH32 Ka'ale. 

Ka'ale dove in front of the fishermen who kept tossing their lines in the water. There was a school of fish, where Ka'ale spent about 20 minutes or so chasing, even a poor angel fish was scene scurrying
off. 

Team Billand walked the coast line and they came across RN14 Kalani.  He was coming in, and vocalizing, put his on the rocks. Poor guys lost his buddy. On their way out they bummed into Melina talking to the swimmers. Barbara filled her in on the incident with the snorkelers. 

Team Billand trekked Ka'ena West and to their surprise people swimming in a near by water hole. In a shallow pond sleeping is RW02 PvKauai.  Two of the men walk right past him for a closer picture, but they must have felt the eyes staring at them and moved away from the seal.  
Then they spot a second seal resting and pretty much hidden (RO40) Ka'ena.  On their way out from the point the two seals remain in same spot. 

Team Billand's next find Lei Ola RH48 was alone sleeping on the rocks again. She is going on 7 months with this piercing. and although she is healthy and shows normal behavior, it will be a day to celebrate when that hook can come out.


Team T&D were out today doing their part in cleaning up some of the debris around the island. They pulled in lots of rope off the rocks to higher ground and some of it was too huge to get to today without help.  Their reward of the day today was coming across Honey Girl R5AY and her 11th pup, PO2.  Yes grandma gives birth again to a happy healthy bundle.  

RN14 Kalani & RH32 Ka'ale 
 Swimmers beware
 ( the two of them laughing)  Did you see the look on their faces? 
RN14 Kalani
 RW02 PvKauai 
Ka'ena RO40
Debris
Lei Ola RH48
 Debris -  seems endless
 Well hello there #11
 you have been born into an amazing lineage 

15 comments:

Tony said...

With this first public report of HG and PO2 does this mean NOAA is now ok with the publicity?

Anonymous said...

No

Anonymous said...

NOAA doesn’t want HG to abandon Pup so they told all visitors to site to wait for them to do an assessment first and then they would make a statement to the Media but not to expose an Endangered Species

Tony said...

Does anybody have any firm evidence that HMS mothers are likely to abandon their pups after human disturbance? My experience has been quite the opposite, the mother becomes aggressive toward the cause of the disturbance or moves her pup away from the source of the disturbance. Not once have I heard about or witnessed disturbance resulting in abandonment. But perhaps others may have contrary experience, if so it would be interesting to know the details that lead up to the abandonment.

Donna said...

Aloha Tony - That's a good question. We do know there are Mom's who have abandon their pups and of course there is so much about them we don't know. Given Honey Girl is an older Mom who knows.... But I think your point is well taken, there hasn't been anything that would raise that as a concern, especially if there are volunteers around to keep people back.

If Ewa Girl didn't get spooked while jets flew over her at reef runway.... I imagine it would take a lot for a Mom to get spooked, unless it's a new Mom maybe. Perhaps Anonymous could shed some light on the subject for us.

I been around lots of moms and pups in different situations, and other than KP2's mom I dont' know of another.

I'm thinking it's less about HG abandoning her pup and more about it being announced on the blog. oh well I got to stay true to what I do.


Tony said...

With regard to KP2 and his earlier sibling’s abandonments, it would be a stretch to claim those were caused by human disturbance.

I’m not saying human disturbance is ok or unimportant. I am saying let’s keep things true and not perpetuate beliefs that have little basis in fact. Credibility is difficult enough to maintain in these times full of mistrust.

Donna said...

Hi Tony
I wasn't suggesting KP2 was abandon due to humans, just that's the only abandon pup that I am aware of. AND I totally agree, with you and putting out information that can be trusted.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why still Po2 photos are in here. I was told by HMAR that we cannot post any information about it until NOAA's official announcement. I heard that many people concerned about this post yesterday. I really like to hear the reason you can do this. I have trusted this site but after this, I am very upset what you are doing this because you are not protecting seals.

Dana Jones said...

We have had 11 births with HG alone and we have always shared these joyous occasions with the volunteers and media once it was approved. This pup is most likely about a week old and all the volunteers should be a part of taking care of these animals. If you are not informed u are not in a position to assist. No location is disclosed and the joy of HG surviving and the pup surviving her 11th pup after we lost the last one should be a matter of great happiness. I’m not understanding any of this. This blog has always been a responsible and truthful means of information. If there are controversial matters then people need to know. A pup being born should not be. Matter of controversy.

Donna said...

Let me clarify and set the record straight. I am a free agent, I do not belong to an official volunteer group, although I do volunteer my time in keeping this blog and doing what I can when I can. If the organization you are a part of tells you to do something then you have to decided to follow those rules or not.

In the past I was part of the first volunteer organization so I am aware of NOAA's practices and procedures. I always try to be respectful of what is most important for the seals and their well being. I am a big fan of sharing knowledge, the more people who are educated and understand the better the seals will be.

Because of some of these comments and comments I received in private I contacted one of the folks at NOAA and asked if I did anything wrong (especially since I have been doing this for so long). I was told no, I did nothing wrong. If there was a problem they would bring it to my attention, but no one should be telling me what I can or can not put on the blog.

It amazes me because this was a very subtle one liner with 3 photos. The MOST understated announcement I ever made has got folks up in arms.

The SEALS are NOT in danger because the public knows R5AY gave birth to her 11th pup. What is dangerous is misinformation, and creating controversy where it doesn't belong.
Anyone who knows me that I am dedicated to the well being of these amazing animals. I am also a very loyal friend. If you hurt my friends you're hurting me, and I will speak up for them everytime.

Kathy Brown said...

Great news to hear Hg has a pup. Thanks, Donna,for keeping us informed. We thought maybe HG was getting too old to pup. She's such a great mom.

Dana Jones said...

You are awesome Donna. Glad you keep us informed. This is a cause for joy not controversy.. mahalo for caring and keeping history intact. Love u.

b said...

Comment #13...I love DA BLOG...it has been the best source of information, a place to express our thoughts of concern, our sorrows, deepen friendships from outer islands.

It was DA BLOG that got us to meet the famous duo, Val and Diane. Through the blog, we connected, we did a trip to Molokai at that time to go on an adventure with the two ladies to find seals. It was an adventure we will never forget.

I wake up each and every morning to the BLOG and Miss Donna's full report of all volunteers day with the beloved monk seals.

Because of the BLOG, people from around the world make connections, come to Hawaii to visit the seals they read about.

Since DB's passing, THE DONNA has done a SUPERB job in keeping us all informed by posting every ones pictures and stories of their day with seals.

Too bad, others cant just THANK HER for her hard work, her loyalties to volunteers and public callers, and other organizations.

I read all the comments, and felt I had to contribute my two cents...I really dont think three little pics of the NEW PUP from a old Legendary Female known as Honey Girl...is wrong at all. We should all feel grateful to KNOW there is another pup to watch grow through this blog.

THE BLOG is a place you can be yourself, express your thoughts, share information in honesty and respect.

I dont do FACEBOOK or any other site, DA BLOG is where my heart and soul is and I will continue to have my cup of Cocoa in the mornings to read about seals.

God bless you Miss DONNA, THANK YOU FOR BEING there for all of us...continue on doing THE BLOG...YOU DA BEST! and sooooo APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dana Jones said...

Applause and ditto👏

Tony said...

There would probably be less controversy if there wasn’t a climate of secrecy and mistrust and attempts to control what the community of volunteers does (and I mean volunteers in the most general sense of the word). Our seals and our community are better served by increased transparency. Thank you Donna for being that free agent of transparency.