Thursday, April 5, 2018

04/05/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

Today was my first official day as an Outreach Technician at Ka’ena Pt with RCUH/PCSU/DLNR/DOFAW/NARS.
I drove out to assess the roads situation still saturated from last nights rain and more today. Picked up Sea Debris & trash on my way.
Just before getting to the point I spotted 2 seals side by side hauled out on some reefs. They were R3CU & R353 (F). Further along in the Main Pool, RW02 “PVKauai” was doing the hippo.
Team T & D met me at the point, already carrying a big garbage bag full of trash. We did some serious sea debris pick up all around the Main Pool. 7 crates, 2 floats, 3 tooth brushes, 1 umbrella handle, lots of ropes, bottle tops and pieces of plastic.
We took most of it out to the UTV, tomorrow I’ll get the rest. TEAM work at it’s best.


On my way in to the NARS area earlier while I was checking on some Albatross chicks and watching a feed I heard a loud bird noise, different from the sounds we are used to hear out there. I waited quietly then saw it: a Ring-necked Pheasant. The same I’ve seen around the house and last time on Birth Beach.

Chickie
 D of Team T&D
 R3CU & R353
 R3CU 
 RW02 PvKauai 
 A whole lotta crap
 Team T&D with their official NARS volunteer shirts!

No comments: