Monday, November 24, 2014

11/24/2014 DB's Dailies: RK36&UU@RI, Kea@BH&SB, U'ilani@RR, Pohaku@Nanakuli, Haupu@White Plains

It was rainy, cold and crappy out there today. Rabbit Island observations were limited by lack of visibility.

 On my 0600 Sandy Beach check Kea was gone. I picked up the stuff and continued on.

 It would be 1105 before I could physically see Rabbit Island. During my brief look I found RK36, 110 ft left of 1BS, and an U/U only partially visible , in the Morning Glory, 60 ft left of 1BS.

 Gayle called at 1125 to advise that she had found Kaiwi (RK96) at China Walls. Thank you Gayle !! 

On my Umpteenth check of Blowhole Lookout, at 1235 I peered over the edge into the Eternity Beach channel to immediately see Kea (RN46) looking for lunch, under the westside channel rock ledge. His beautiful RFF natural bleach made the ID a piece of cake. I only saw him for a brief moment, before he moved off into the waters off the lookout. Witnesses told me that they had see him twice in the 10 minutes they were watching, and that he never showed interest in hauling out. It appeared to be a straight foraging mission. I observed 4 dives of 6-9 minutes. Rain limited my time with him.

 Speaking of Umpteenth checks... At 1515 we reached the D#42 mark with Kea (RN46) at Sandy Beach. When I found him foraging earlier, I thought it a possibility so I’d been checking SB. I cordoned him off. Kea remains at dark.

 Team Billand checked in at 0700 to advise that they had nobody at White Plains, however members of their surfer posse advised them that a green animal had patrolled the coast earlier, doing partial haul outs up and down the beach. My dollar is on Buster but ?????

 At 0910 the Billands called to advise that Eileen had called with the report of U’ilani (RN36) at the Reef Runway

 Ocean Safety called at 0930 with the report of an animal in Nanakuli. The Billands confirmed Pohaku (RO28) at 1107.

 At 0937 Team Billand reported Haupu (RB24) fronting the Surf Shack, at White Plains.

 The Billands are still having computer problems. Check the blog in the morning for their day.

Kaiwi at china walls 
 Kea diving 
 Kea landed at Sandys

No comments: