Saturday, November 8, 2014

11/8/2014 DB's Dailies: Kea@SB, Buster,Kolohe,Kaino, UF & UM@RI, Luana@Hidden Beach, Ka'ena&RIP@KP, Pohaku@Nanakuli, Benny@Maili Pt, Rocky@DH,U/U@WP

Kea was gone on my first Sandy Beach look at 0615. On my 5th recheck, at 0812 I found Kea (RN46) at the Sandy Beach outfall. I redid the SPZ. He has remained all day. He remained at dark.

 At 0750 on my 1st look at Rabbit Island I found what would prove to be Buster (RV08) on the rocks at Rocky Right Beach. He would move out of my line of sight at 1400.

 On my 2nd RI look at 0849 I found what would prove to be an U/M just hauling out fronting 1BS. He would move up into the Morning Glory and spend most of the day draped across the log, 40 ft left of 1BS. Though he would move down in the afternoon I was not able to get an ID due to horrible observation conditions. (wind, overcast skies)

 On a pan at 0900 I found Kolohe (RW22) & Kainoa (RN04) hauling out , together, 60 ft left of 2BS. They remained the rest of the day. On a pan ay 1134 I found an U/F, with a new coat & 2 red tags, in the Morning Glory, 50 ft left of 3BS. She just didn’t show me enough to make a confirmed ID. 

Marilyn and Lesley did the Kaena Point trek as usual. Marilyn called at 0959 to report finding a 99% molted Luana (RN58) at Hidden Beach, and Ka’ena (RO40),RIP (RR70) and what Dana characterized as OP1, “Oahu Pig 1” at Ka’ena Point. Apparently the pig had first been seen yesterday. No clue on how... when or why it arrived at this location. DLNR is aware.

 At 1028 Ocean Safety called with the report of an animal at Nanakuli. Dana called at 1225 to confirm the Pohaku (RO28) ID.

 At 1200 Melanie Chun called with the report of Rocky (RH58) at Diamond Head. Thank You Melanie !!!

 At 1254 lifeguards reported the arrival of an animal at White Plains. Awaiting further word. At 1519 Team Billand........Yes !! They are back !! reported Benny (RE74) at Maili Point.

 Dana called at 1649 to advise that Benny had checked out Pohaku and then returned to the water. Pohaku would depart would join him at 1649.

** upon leaving the store tonight i was informed by one of my employees he saw a large seal on Moku Nui today.... I will hopefully get some pictures tomorrow.... 

 Kea looking spiffy in his new coat... you can clearly see his beautiful natural bleach marks 
 helllooooooo anyone down there?
 Harumph on my own
 Buster 
 Kainoa and Kolohe
Luana at Hidden Beach
 
 Ka'ena 
 Rip 
 pig on the rocks
 hmmm not sure how or why a wild pig ended up on the rocks at Ka'ena point.... I have to imagine when Marilyn and Lesley were approaching this scene they initially thought it might be a seal... and with increasing concern something awful happened....   just glad it isn't one of the monk seals, but still so so bizarre to happen upon this.
 Rocky at Diamond Head
 Benny at maili point
 oh benny you need a new suit

No comments: